Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Another relay query - Omex & Fan
karlak

posted on 3/5/15 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
Another relay query - Omex & Fan

OK,

I have had an "over-ride" switch put on the dashboard to switch the radiator fan on, this was to hopefully work alongside the Omex 600 which has been set to 90 degrees ON & 92 degrees OFF.

I got the car out yesterday and ran around the yard. The temp display is shown on a ETB digidash2, which showed it go above 90degs, I popped the switch on and the fan came on fine and started to cool it down.

I need to chat to the guy who wired up the Relay for me and make sure it is all correct, given the Omex fan feed and the over-ride switch. In the meantime, can someone please provide a diagram of how it should be setup please. I suspect that either the feed from the omex has become disconnected or maybe not reading the water sensor correctly. If I can at least check the wiring to the relay, it will be somewhere to start,

Cheers

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

loggyboy

posted on 3/5/15 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Could just be the omexs interpretation of 90 is different from the digi dash. Did you try to get the temps much higher than 90 before engaging the overide?

Mistral Motorsport

karlak

posted on 3/5/15 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Could just be the omexs interpretation of 90 is different from the digi dash. Did you try to get the temps much higher than 90 before engaging the overide?

The temp on the digidash hit 99 before I popped the fan on. I am back there at the workshop today, so will try and get the live data for the OMEX on my Laptop (think it is possible), to see what OMEX thinks it is seeing.

Must admit to struggling with Relays, just cant get my head around them. Need a dummys guide I think

britishtrident

posted on 3/5/15 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
I think that should be 92 On and 90 Off but that is too close together the fan will cycle on off on off too quickly.
You need about 4 degrees separation between the and the Off should be at about 4 degree above the thermostat starts to open temperature.
So for an 88 degree thermostat the fan going on at 96 and off at 92 is about right.
99c is not hot for a modern engine most modern tintop fans don't start until 105c and and many don't full speed until over 112c
On modern production car temperature gauge is just an indicator not a true gauge as the reading is controlled by the ECU typically it will remain fixed on "N" between 75c and 108c or more.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

gremlin1234

posted on 3/5/15 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Must admit to struggling with Relays, just cant get my head around them. Need a dummys guide I think
they are just electrically actuated switches

karlak

posted on 3/5/15 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Guys,

I think it is sorted now. I ran it a bit hotter and the ECU switched the fan on, so either ETB sensor is reading high, or the Omex sensor is low

The ETB uses its own sensor and the Omex uses the standard Duratec one (I think), which I have been told should be fine. So it could be the sensors are not showing correctly, cant check the omex live data as I need to find may serial extension lead.

On a Run the temperature seemed to fluctuate between 96 and 99. This seemed to happen on a dual carriageway run or whether on a "normal" drive.

Done some reading on the relays and now have it clear how they work

Having just got the car back on the road after a long layoff and loads of changes, engine, steering, ignition, fuelling etc etc, I may well have a few more questions coming along . What I do know in the brief drive back home from the workshop is,,,,,, it is now a very different beast to the one I drove almost 4 years ago now. 4 years !! couldn't believe it, but in my defence we have had a few issues to deal with over the past few years...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.