Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Indy engine upgrade
Harrodbear86

posted on 4/5/15 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
MK Indy engine upgrade

Hi guys,
Would really appreciate any help or advise on previous findings.
I have a 2001 Carbed R1 engine in my MK Indy, and I'm looking to upgrade. I was thinking of going for a 2008'ish Fuel Injected R1, and was wondering would this be considered enough of an upgrade, or should I hold out and go for something like a ZX12 or a Busa engine? I was thinking of sticking with the R1 setup for the ease of it, assuming it would use the same engine cradle.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated, or if anybody is in the Essex area and has a FI R1 I would love to meet up for a ride and pint.

Thanks again.
Danny

james h

posted on 4/5/15 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
Can't help with which engine to choose, but I know the cradle will not be the same. The first injected R1 (2002-03) will have the same cradle though.
Harrodbear86

posted on 4/5/15 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
Oh right, that's good to know. Thanks.
CosKev3

posted on 4/5/15 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
I would guess the lower mounts will be different too, so would need to cut off yours and weld on new ones onto chassis.

You will need new exhaust manifold, and obviously will need quite a lot of wiring changing.

Are you good with tools/welding etc and planning on doing the job yourself?

If not its not a cheap job by the time you've bought engine etc and paid someone to do it.
The power gains from a carbed R1 to an injection one are not massive.

If your not capable of doing the conversion yourself you would be better off running your current car for a year or so, then sell it on and buy a bigger engined one imo

twybrow

posted on 4/5/15 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
The first thing I would ask is why do you want the upgrade? I upgraded as my previous lump was less than ideal hearing, and felt appreciably slower with a passenger, so I went zx12 to gain a big slab more torque. The newer R1 lump wont have a lot more torque than your current setup, just more top end, so tour may not feel the change as much as you expect.

What about adding a turbo or supercharger to your engine? You will probably end up spending a similar amount, but you retain the engine you know which is always useful.

Harrodbear86

posted on 4/5/15 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
I won't be tackling the job myself, as I can't be trusted with a welder unfortunately. Haha
In regards to the upgrade, I don't mind putting a bit of money into the car as I plan on keeping it for a long time. I suppose once I have a new engine in I can always sell mine to recoup a bit of cash.

Ideally I want something with more torque as I use it on the road more so than track, I assume with a Zx12 the car will be a lot more useable on the road?

I have heard about turbo/supercharging but does the reliability of the engine go out the window once this is done?

Thanks for all the input guys.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.