Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: HELP! CBR600 carbs and 2l Zetec Engine
jck239

posted on 15/5/15 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
HELP! CBR600 carbs and 2l Zetec Engine

Hi,
This is my 1st post on this forum. Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

I have a 2l zetec running CBR 600 carbs. I have been told that I have connected them wrong. The red and green marked pipes are currently disconnected. If I connect the red one to the cam case breather when I rev the engine the chambers move up and down to expose the butterfly, but the engine then struggles to rev (as if its getting to much air). Disconnected the engine runs but is down on power.

Where should they be connected to? Can anyone help?

[Edited on 15/5/15 by jck239]

mark chandler

posted on 15/5/15 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Green is the fuel bowl overflow and should be left as it is, the red originally went to a little air filter or the air box, my memory is hazy so should not be blocked or go to the crank breather.

Try moving the needles to get it to run better, I expect someone will be along soon who can advise on jetting, if on a budget get some very small drill bits and drill out what you have.

Regards Mark

19sac65

posted on 16/5/15 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Ive got the same set up
Your trumpets are longer than mine - are they stock ones ?
I leave both the red and green pipes off, not needed on car installation
My main jets are 1.8mm and 3 turns out of the idle mixture screw
It goes very well and plugs are a nice colour - 2.5% c/o at mot
You can drill the jets out bit by bit to get the right size ( i bought a modellers set and did 1.6,1.7,1.8)
Then buy new jets in the size that your happy with - theyre weber dgav jets,less than a tenner a set
Every engine is different mind so a session on the rollers would improve things further
But the above is a good starting point
Once its running right it'll be worth it

jck239

posted on 16/5/15 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks.

But what about the things inside the carbs that sit in front of the butterfly and move up and down (sorry i dont know the name of it, i think its some sort of choke). Mine stays closed. If i connect the red pipe to the cam cover breather then when I rev the engine they open as I guess they should.

whitestu

posted on 16/5/15 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
They are the slides and control the mixture. They move the needle up in the main jet to allow more fuel in. They will move under load without any of the pipes you mention connected up.
mark chandler

posted on 16/5/15 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Just make sure the carbs are balanced, listening with a bit of tube is surprisingly accurate and when you Rev it all the plungers go up and down in unison, there is a thin rubber memebrane that can become torn in which case 1 will lag behind or even fail to lift.
19sac65

posted on 16/5/15 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Another trick for balancing is to use some mig wire or similar as a feeler gauge under each butterfly
Adjust them all so they just touch the wire,then re set the idle once the engine is running
I got them 99% this way

[Edited on 16/5/15 by 19sac65]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.