Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Leaky sensor thread
karlak

posted on 4/6/15 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Leaky sensor thread

Have finally got my car sorted. Well, I got it back home 7 weeks ago, but haven't been able to get it MOT'd as I buggered my back at work, disc problem, but that is mending as well

So, after a long time and lots of changes we are almost good to go.

However, I started her up yesterday and have a slight water leak form the coolant sensor which has been tapped into the Duratec water "block". Seems to only happen when at temperature. I didnt put this sensor in as part of the work done, so not sure if any sealant etc has has been used. I am going to drop some coolant out at the weekend and take a look.

As far as trying to seal it a bit better, can I just use PTFE tape (think thats what it is called). I have some white plumbers tape, is that the stuff ?

Also, the temperature of the coolant is being shown as between 96 - 99 degrees C. Too hot ? Altho, I can only take that as being correct from the ETB digidash readout. Again, any ideas how I can check it for real - I have bought a cheap thermal infrared temp thermometer, but not sure how accurate they are really.

I will start a new thread with some piccies of the car elsewhere with the changes I have done. Just cant wait to get her out on the road, as the short drive I have had to get her home felt a tad different from when she had the pinto

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

gremlin1234

posted on 4/6/15 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
ptfe tape (yep plumbers white tape) should stop the leak, however it will stop the sensor working if it uses the block as the chassis connection.
in which case use a copper washer

ps: you can test a non contact thermometer by checking boiling (and frozen) water.

edit 'as' to 'a' typo.

[Edited on 4/6/15 by gremlin1234]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.