Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to tell Dot.5 from 5.1?
Irony

posted on 23/6/15 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
How to tell Dot.5 from 5.1?

Right, I have been a plonker.

Filled my braking system a few weeks back and I searched around and bought some from Halfords. I know I bought DOT5 or DOT5.1. After filling/bleeding I ended up using all the whole lot. Missus chucked the empty bottle away. I thought at the time 'damn I should have kept that for future reference'. I thought well they only had 1 type at halfords (either DOT5 or DOT5.1) so I'll go back and by some. Halfords have discontinued their own brand. So how do I tell the two apart? The fluid is a CLEAR AMBER.

gingerprince

posted on 23/6/15 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
I hope it was 5.1 not 5.0 that you used - the latter is incompatible to 3, 4, 5.1 etc as it's silicon based and the types should not be mixed. I think it can also cause issues with seals etc over time.
watsonpj

posted on 23/6/15 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
look in this thread

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=198417

Irony

posted on 23/6/15 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by watsonpj
look in this thread

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=198417

Aha, cheers for that. I wish people would title threads appropriately.

Irony

posted on 23/6/15 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
From another forum in the states

DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 can be mixed if necessary, according to the instructions on the cans. The temperature range is higher as it progresses from DOT 3 to 4 to 5.1

DOT 5 and DOT 5.1 are not the same.

DOT 5 is a silicone based fluid, and DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 are glycol? based.

don't guess.... this is how to check:-

Essentially, there are two types. The first one is regular auto brake fluid. The second type is Silicone-based brake fluid.

You can not mix the two types of fluid (well, you can, but you will end up with a jelly-like mess).

You need to find out which you have already in the system. Here's how:-

1. Get a dropper (an eye or ear-dropper) and withdraw some fluid from the master cylinder.
2. Put it into a glass jar and then add some clean water to the fluid.
3. Now put the lid on the jar and shake it well.
4. Let it stand for a few minutes.
5. If the water and the fluid have mixed thoroughly and can not be separately identified, then you have regular auto brake fluid.
6. However, if the water and the fluid have not mixed, or have formed blobs or layers, then the fluid is Silicone.

That's all there is to it. Lots of people think that you can recognise which is which by looking at the colour of the fluid, or by its odor. Don't risk it. Use the test outlined above. It's already been said that DOT 5 is not always purple, or that it can change color after time to a yellow that looks like DOT 3.

dhutch

posted on 23/6/15 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Indeed, all of the above.
Slimy38

posted on 23/6/15 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
I am 75% sure Halfords don't do the 5.0 fluid, it's not something that the average 'man on the street' would buy.
britishtrident

posted on 23/6/15 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
All of the above.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Benzine

posted on 23/6/15 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
DOT4 tastes a little tangy, DOT5 is kinda sour, and DOT5.1 actually tastes pretty good.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 23/6/15 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Halfords may no longer stock it, but they have a review on their site, indicates its 5.1

http://reviews.halfords.com/4028/622019/reviews.htm

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 23/6/15 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Add water - 5.0 won't mix (hydrophobic), 5.1 will do (hydroscopic)

Lots of other far more scientific tests, some involving making explosive material... but the Thought Police will be on their way already. The above should suffice.

luke2152

posted on 23/6/15 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Dot 5 is pretty rare. Its a military one intended for vehicles that might get stored unused for years in reserve. I'd be very surprised if halfords sold it
scudderfish

posted on 23/6/15 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
DOT4 tastes a little tangy, DOT5 is kinda sour, and DOT5.1 actually tastes pretty good.

I find mixing 4:1 with meths improves the taste of DOT5 no end.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 23/6/15 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
I experimented with DOT5 on my 1967 Land Rover. In theory, an ideal fluid for the thing, given it's operational circumstances. Purchased directly from Automec it wasn't that expensive, well, not as expensive as some.

It turned out not to be a good thing. Bleeding the bleeding thing (it's a 109 with TLS) is always difficult, but the air would simply not separate from the fluid. The seals on the master and slave cylinders then ruptured, as they turned to jelly. Experiment over.

Thing with the Land Rover is that it's a single circuit braking system, so any leaks/problems/air/whatever and you have no brakes.

Complete replacement of everything and a return to DOT4... or 3 or 5.1, anything ethereal, all now OK (or as good as it can be).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.