Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dodgy Reverse through IVA
Irony

posted on 2/7/15 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Dodgy Reverse through IVA

I have had to admit that the reverse in my Viento V8 (lt77) is on its way out. It makes a grinding noise and is slightly judderery when reversing. Having spoken to a local engineer he says a grinding faulty reverse is not a MOT failure. Having no reverse is however. Being as I have just paid for my IVA, no date yet, I was thinking of IVAing it and then sorting the reverse out over winter. Does anyone know of any reason why it would not go through the IVA with a noisey reverse?

[Edited on 2/7/15 by Irony]

rusty nuts

posted on 2/7/15 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
I suspect that as long as the car reverses at the time of the test there is no reason for a failure.
loggyboy

posted on 2/7/15 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Providing it does make it reverse.
Only thing it could come down to is the testers interpretation of the 'general construction':

2. When driven, the safe control of the vehicle must not be impaired or likely to be impaired, due to a design/construction feature or characteristic.
3. The vehicle structure and all components including their attachment must be suitable and of adequate strength. (see note 2)

Mistral Motorsport

shindha

posted on 2/7/15 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
My plan would be to sort out the gearbox as it will need to be done - that money will need to be spent sooner or later, and if the tester decides to fail the car it will add to the overall expense - as I understand it retest is not cheap.
But your car, your money, your decision.

SteveDown

posted on 2/7/15 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
I took my car for an IVA a couple of weeks back, they didn't even test reversing it. However, it failed because the steering makes no attempt to centre itself.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.