Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering wheel advice
ChrisLeary

posted on 14/7/15 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Steering wheel advice

Evening all,

I put a wanted ad on here the other day about a steering wheel. I said that I like the RMD D shape wheels but was pointed to a thread about the their build quality and them failing.

Does anybody know if the Mountney branded wheels are the same unit but branded differently? I'd like to think that Mountney quality is much better.

Any advice/knowledge will be great.

Thanks,

Chris

Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer...

cloudy

posted on 14/7/15 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
If it helps there appears to be an RMD V2 which has a thicker 5mm boss, AFAIK those haven't had any reported failures

James

www.warnercars.com

INDY BIRD

posted on 14/7/15 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
I have a spa 250mm D shape wheel it has the 3 fixing holes drilled though for quick release boss if interested u2u me
russbost

posted on 15/7/15 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
We sell the RMD "D" shaped wheel, all our stock has the thicker centre at 5 - 5.1mm, happy to offer 5% discount to lcb members just call 07905 879407 to order.

I have one of the early wheels on our Furore demonstrator, it's 3 years old & has around 2500 miles on it, it is 3.4mm thick & I have a bit of a habit of using it as a grab handle to move the car around when parking etc.! I've checked the wheel & there is no sign of cracking or deformation - it does have the score where the fabric is cut, but that is very light. In fairness this is the 10" wheel & obviously as the wheel diameter increases so does any potential force across the spokes, but I still haven't actually personally seen one that has failed. TTBOMK there have been no failures on the increased thickness wheels.

As I've commented in the other thread, I still can't see a way they can fail under NORMAL use, the wheel has to be being consistently wrenched back & forth, fore & aft, to cause a failure, perhaps if used to pull yourself out of the seat when getting in & out.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.