Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sidelights and daylight running lamps?
villagehoppa

posted on 15/7/15 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Sidelights and daylight running lamps?

Hi All,

Do i need side lights AND daylight running lamps or can I just just have side lights? I'd like to put some daylight running lamps on but don't know if I NEED them for the test? Any ideas, thanks for all you help bye the way, definitely a great knowledgeable site...

loggyboy

posted on 15/7/15 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Daylight runners are completely optional for IVA/MoT.

Mistral Motorsport

David Jenkins

posted on 15/7/15 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
I fitted some last winter, simply because dozy drivers don't seem able to see me on the road... after all, my car is only silver and bright yellow, so it blends into the background... [sarcasm mode off]

This was done long after SVA so legal requirements weren't so much of a concern, but if fitting them before a test then you'll have to get them working properly. Specifically, they have to turn on with the ignition switch, but turn off when the headlights are turned on. There are also rules about where they can be fitted - distance from the edge of the car, height, etc. As it happens, I fitted mine the legal way as I saw no reason to fit them otherwise.

[Edited on 15/7/15 by David Jenkins]

Irony

posted on 15/7/15 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
I'd leave daytime running lamps off for the IVA. They will just be one more thing you can fail on. As said they are not a requirement for IVA but if you have them they can fail you them for radius issues etc etc..

Car Builder Solutions do a nice little kit to make sure they come on and off at the correct times.

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 15/7/15 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
I agree, I'd put them on after.

you can get little kits that can make them dimm to be side lights etc, to behave like production car setups. and no doubt what IVA would need.

[Edited on 15/7/15 by Chris_Xtreme]

David Jenkins

posted on 15/7/15 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
If you're doing your wiring, consider running the necessary wires inside the loom - makes fitting the lights after the IVA so much easier!

adithorp

posted on 15/7/15 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris_Xtreme
I agree, I'd put them on after.

you can get little kits that can make them dimm to be side lights etc, to behave like production car setups. and no doubt what IVA would need.

[Edited on 15/7/15 by Chris_Xtreme]

I've had a couple of tin-tops in recently that didn't have a sidelight position on the light switch and no front sidelights. They just switch the DRL's on dim if you leave the headlight switch on with ignition off as parking lights and (presumably) if a headlight bulb fails.

Sorry OP about the tread drift... No, DRL's are not required for IVA.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

villagehoppa

posted on 15/7/15 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Fantastic, that's got it covered, many thanks all, onwards and upwards as they say... muchos grazias....
loggyboy

posted on 15/7/15 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Just consider driving with your headlights on, I do in my tin top and will wire my mains to switch off with ignition so i can leave them on 'set and forget'

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.