Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: B230 volvo engine .
Volvorsport

posted on 6/12/04 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
B230 volvo engine .

just for you guys , something to think about - a different engine than , ford , toyota etc . In NA trim this motor produced 200 - 210 hp on twin 45s , with more to come with cam timing , and ignition timing to play with .

oh , and the torque 190 ft/lbs - something that those engines would love to achieve .

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mj.slater/video002.avi
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mj.slater/video003.avi

regards

gazza285

posted on 6/12/04 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Quick question for you Mr Volvosport. Do the five cylinder engines share the bell housing bolt pattern with the B series motors? Loved the tug of my 940 Turbo, but I'm quite fond of the 2.5 20v Nasty too.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Volvorsport

posted on 6/12/04 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
hah , no they dont , although if you find a 6 cyl engine with a manual box , that has the same bolt pattern as the 4/5/6 cyl whiteblock which is a shared engine platform between all the volvo models .

therefore possible to fit a 5 cyl in RWD car EDIT an M90 is desirable for power capabilities

incidentally the next engine on the dyno is a 5 cyl T5 engine , big rods , capable of 500 hp , well im hoping without mechanical malardies .

the T5 engine capable of 300 hp , about same weight as a reblock 4 cyl , in the video , could prove some interesting performance figures , and in fact , since that engine is right next to my locost chassis - its getting very tempting .

[Edited on 6/12/04 by Volvorsport]

MikeRJ

posted on 6/12/04 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine just bought an 850 2.5 20v as a winter hack. The 5 cylinder engine sounds very sweet, and goes well. I've never been a Volvo fan, but it really impressed me for the money.

How heavy is the engine? Alloy or iron block? Is it an expensive engine to tune/rebuild?

Cheers

Mike

Volvorsport

posted on 6/12/04 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
its no heavier than a 4 cyl turbo engine , ill try to get it on some weight scales soon , its all alloy . They can be expensive if buy all bits from volvo . when turboed though , you dont have to do much to get em to 300 - or thereabouts its easy to 275 -280 . some chip manufacturers claim 305 hp , which can be done with a mish mash of std parts (C70 turbo(19 T)) and a bigger exhaust . the 2.5 comes in at 170 bhp . Rods are the limiting factor initially , those can be done for about £1500- £2000 with new pistons - that should see you get well over 400 hp . I flowed and fitted a skimmed cylinder head , with 3 angle valve seats ect - for £600 - weve had some reprofiled cams done - but for road use the motor revs past 6500rpm , so there isnt a real lot to do . the best thing tho is a good EMS , good fuel and ignition control is key to a good tune .
MikeRJ

posted on 6/12/04 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info. Do you know if the engine has been used in any locost/seven type application?
Volvorsport

posted on 6/12/04 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
i know the 4 cyl has in sweden and abroad , for the 5cyl , you might have height problems , i dont know of anybody doing it , but as soon as i get my engine crane sorted ill be popping it in there for a trail fit - in fact some measurements of mine seem to say it will fit in there .

it has been used in the back of a darrian for a couple of seasons now .

phelpsa

posted on 7/12/04 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
We've got a five cylinder volvo.

It is very torquey and revs all the way up to 4500 rpm.

It's a diesel!

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gazza285

posted on 7/12/04 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
I think you'll find it's a VW Adam.
phelpsa

posted on 7/12/04 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, defo a Volvo, it even has the tweed hat to prove it

Volvorsport

posted on 7/12/04 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
no , the engine is a vw diesel , unless you got the very latest diesel , which is volvo , i think
phelpsa

posted on 7/12/04 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, it is the latest one, the D5.

And it is made by volvo. The previous 2.5 tdi was made by VW.

Adam

[Edited on 7/12/04 by phelpsa]

Volvorsport

posted on 7/12/04 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
they are also very sluggish , remedied by a rica chip , although i hate saying that name and company .
phelpsa

posted on 7/12/04 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Still, if your buying a diesel volvo estate you don't tend to worry about performance,

unless of course your name is Volvosport

Volvorsport

posted on 7/12/04 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
well yes , you are correct , but that upgrade is actually used by volvo because of complaints - it goes someway to addressing the drive by wire sluggishness aswell
svinto

posted on 7/12/04 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a swedish locost build with a Volvo T5 engine:
http://www.mhk.lu.se/home/staffanl/

gazza285

posted on 8/12/04 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
I stand corrected. Can't be a bad thing, not using a VW diesel, not exactly known for their reliability.
Volvorsport

posted on 8/12/04 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
hmmmm , that originally had a B230 in it - that blokes got mail!!!
MikeRJ

posted on 8/12/04 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
It's a bit of a squeeze, but then again I've got a big chassis and he's put his radiator in a strange position.

Are the 6 cylinder manual gearboxes you mentioned hard to get hold of?

Volvorsport

posted on 8/12/04 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
well , if you do the usual trawl through ebay , since all were top of the range, most are auto - ive only seen one or two manuals - and they usually go much cheaper for some reason !!(well we know its because autos are better for the green welly brigade) . You might have to source one from sweden ? look all over the uk for one .

For me though - i would make an adapter plate and use a getrag or T5 (cossie box)
im just trying to sell my 260 box on ebay -nobody even wanted it for £40.

the problem is the box you really want should have a detachable bell housing to make use of it or it could become complicated - as soon as im fit enough , ill try my 260 box on this T5 engine ive got lying about to make sure the input shaft is long enough . If you want an adapter - like me , ill get mine made from the template used to bolt this T5 engine to the dyno.

Zaphod

posted on 11/12/04 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Volvosport

In the promised land of Volvo, did you know that there's a Volvo based Locost manufacturer?

Dala7

Only in Swedish but theres a few pretty pictures to look at

[Edited on 11/12/04 by Zaphod]

Volvorsport

posted on 11/12/04 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
ah yes , all based on 140 series , with later back axles .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Zaphod

posted on 11/12/04 at 01:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

ah yes , all based on 140 series , with later back axles .

Nope, It's based on 700 series, with 140 spindels and 240 steering. The rest is all 700 series.

Volvorsport

posted on 11/12/04 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
i think thats what i meant - 140 front suspension and 7 series later running gear .

Nice link anyway - ill be contacting them about stuff soon !

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Lawnmower

posted on 20/1/05 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
found this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7949000549&category=33615&sspagename=WD2V

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.