Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 5vy clutch lightly slipping
craig5

posted on 11/8/15 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
5vy clutch lightly slipping

been out in car today and clutch slipping a bit and with due to previous life theres chance plates would be worn as it was used a sprint/hill climber i know 12 months ago it has had barnett springs so whats my best options
TimC

posted on 11/8/15 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Factory Yam.

craig5

posted on 11/8/15 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
will spring need replacing?
gaz_gaz

posted on 11/8/15 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
just do plates, Spring will be fine,
adithorp

posted on 11/8/15 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go for genuine friction plates and a new set of barnett h/duty springs. Inspect the steels and replace if distorted. There's differing opinions on the springs as some re-use and others always change (got a mate who changes them every year). For what they cost I'd fit new ones.

My old engine started to slip after a year on the road and I measured the plates (OK) and just fitted new springs. Lasted another 5 years/ 15000+miles and still going strong when I swapped motors... so it might be worth measuring the plates.

There's loads of aftermarket frictions but people have had issues with them so I'd avoid. Don't forget to soak the frictions in oil before fitting.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

craig5

posted on 11/8/15 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
MAIN DEALER CHEAPEST PLACE TO GET THEM?
CosKev3

posted on 12/8/15 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
First thing to check before ripping the clutch out is cable.

Needs to have some free play on the clutch lever, as when it warms up and expands if you have no free play the clutch will not be fully off as the cable will be holding it on slightly, this causes it to slip.

I've just fitted a full barnett clutch to mine with the spring conversion plate and carbon fibre clutch plates, really nice feel to the clutch now.

TimC

posted on 12/8/15 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3

Needs to have some free play on the clutch lever, as when it warms up and expands if you have no free play the clutch will not be fully off as the cable will be holding it on slightly, this causes it to slip.

I've just fitted a full barnett clutch to mine with the spring conversion plate and carbon fibre clutch plates, really nice feel to the clutch now.

Out of interest, how much cable travel do you have?

craig5

posted on 12/8/15 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
how much was all that kev and how much play u left in youre cable?
CosKev3

posted on 12/8/15 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
quote:

Only a few mm at clutch arm on engine,but translates to prob nearly 10mm on clutch pedal.

With the engine hot as long as you have a few mm play at the clutch arm on engine you know the clutch is fully off.

Mines an older R1 so had to buy the barnett spring conversion set up too,so mine was circa £250 from USA.

Pretty sure a set of carbon fibre plates and new steels are around £150.

CosKev3

posted on 12/8/15 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/04-06-YZF-R1-Barnett-Complete-Carbon-Fiber-Clutch-Kit-w-OEM-Gasket-/231536172664?hash=item35e8a19e78

That kit includes everything to renew your clutch

adithorp

posted on 12/8/15 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Accordingto Yam' manual there should be 10-15mm free play at the end of the handlebar lever. Think I've got about 1/2 that at the gearbox lever.

How long have you had the carbon plates in? I've seen plenty of reports of kevlar plates not lasting or causing issues.

CosKev3

posted on 12/8/15 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:

Accordingto Yam' manual there should be 10-15mm free play at the end of the handlebar lever. Think I've got about 1/2 that at the gearbox lever.

How long have you had the carbon plates in? I've seen plenty of reports of kevlar plates not lasting or causing issues.

Only a few hundred miles,but went for carbon after reading a few people had issues with Kevlar ones.

Only issues I read about with carbon ones was reportedly aggressive bite when fitted to bikes,but that's not the case in my car,it's spot on bite and easy to control.

craig5

posted on 12/8/15 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
what oil are you using and how much? i also have baffled sump
CosKev3

posted on 12/8/15 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
I use 15 50 Elf semi synth.

I fill to the top of oil sight glass with engine idling, probably about 300-400ml overfill.

With Barnett plates you can run fully synth oil, but standard Yam plates you need to use semi synth.

adithorp

posted on 12/8/15 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
...but standard Yam plates you need to use semi synth.

Not true. Been running on various makes of fully syn for the last 7yrs/20,000miles with no issues and know of other 5pw+5vy cars doing the same.

I've used Valvoline 4t syn (OK but froths a bit at high revs), Silk olene Pro4 (good), currently running Motul V300 on recommendation of the engine builder who builds for a lot of racers. Mates have also used Castrol Power1 Racing

With a 5VY running a baffle plate and breather mod' I fill to 3/4 way up the sight glass (engine hot and idling). Thats about recommende amout plus 250ml.

[Edited on 12/8/15 by adithorp]

craig5

posted on 13/8/15 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
what viscosity is the motul you are using?
TimC

posted on 13/8/15 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:

So you've taken-up most of the travel on the external spring?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.