Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Just another Haynes with plans for M52 engine
Caprea

posted on 18/8/15 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Just another Haynes with plans for M52 engine

Hello,

I have been skimming this forum for quite a while now and finally this spring I got my Haynes roadster building started. For engine I am plannign to use BMW M52 engine (inline-six, stock power 142kw / 190bhp). However, at this point I have yet to find a suitable donor car.

For chassis I am using 25x25x2mm hot rolled steel tubing.

Here are some pictures of my progress so far:

Currently I am working on the rear section. As my tabel is not long enough I would have to move the chassis about 750mm forward. For this I would have to remove all the wooden blocks I have installed. I am thinking the chassis might move slightly out of shape when the blocks are moved and there for should perhaps be more or less fully welded before? Please share your experiance.

Also, I would be very eager to hear any advice or tips regarding the use of M52 for haynes chassis. So far I am aware of the little transmission tunnel mod, but not much more.

Thank you

Rosco86

posted on 18/8/15 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good, the early parts the best bit I think, as for the chassis moving I found that once tacked it's really ridged, also if you finish weld it on the table you will be burning the wood which can affect your welds I was told

My Build Thread

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 18/8/15 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good on the chassis work; by transmission tunnel mod I assume you mean taking a chunk out of TR8? The problem you'll have is getting it to sit as far back as possible. Don't bother with TR5 at the moment - wait until you have an engine in position and brace it then (or copy what someone else has done). That's about all I can think of off the top of my head; I ended up doing a few other mods to strengthen the chassis which have turned out to be a bit of a mixed blessing and probably weren't needed.

I've still got my M52B28TU engine & gearbox from before I swapped to a V6 - PM me if you're interested.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 19/8/15 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Boy! Those pictures take me back a loooong time! Seems forever ago when I first started the build, seems even longer since I sold the Locost

Good luck with it all

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

MBrown

posted on 19/8/15 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck with the build, there are a few others on here using the same engine. SteveWallace and Nickp have been very helpful. Steve built his using a Viento chassis (which is bigger) but Nick and I are trying to fit it in a Haynes with a couple of alterations. This ended up being my chassis build thread:

chassis build thread

I look forward to seeing your progress

Caprea

posted on 22/8/15 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Moved the chassis for the first time on the table to start with the rear section and got the dif. cage tacked up:

Also, decided to try to fabricate rear panel tube RP1 and RP2 out of 25x25 mm material.

What do you guys think if the kinks on the outside radius of the corners a problem or is it fine? The circumference touching the tips of the kinks is the same as required by the book (R84).

I think I would like to have a bolt-on optional roll cage in the future for track days that would preferable also in compliance with regulations. I have searched the forums but yet to find a any good drawings. I would not be fabricating in just yet, but perhaps I can me some chassis modifications to accept it in the future.
If some body could point me to the right thread I would appreciate it.

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 22/8/15 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like it's coming along nicely.

It'll depend on what you're planning on doing for the rear panel - a fibreglass one should be OK I'd have thought, but you may have some troubles with a home made metal one (you won't be able to form around it).

I've got a bolt on roll cage on mine; I used the same dimensions as Rosco with the standard Haynes roll bar, but added bolt on plates.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

Rosco86

posted on 23/8/15 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah looks good, like badger says will be ok if your going for gap, but if you are the rear is normally modded to allow the grp to fit easier, there's a drawing around somewhere, as for the roll cage I can send you my drawings if it helps you out, just depends how you want your cage to look

My Build Thread

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.