Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Speedo reading erratic (Acewell digidash)
russtik

posted on 20/8/15 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Speedo reading erratic (Acewell digidash)

I've got an Acewell digidash fitted to my car which was faultless until recently when the speedo reading started jumping about, suddenly showing nearly twice the actual speed, then back to normal, then something like 7MPH... it's all over the place. the speed sensor is at the diff input flange, with the magnet on the flange. It's all still mounted securely and there's approx. 5mm gap between the magnet and the sensor. The magnet centre isn't perfectly inline with the sensor but it's only a couple mm out, I can't imagine this would cause this issue and it would have been like that before when it was working fine.

Any ideas what could be causing this sudden erratic behaviour?

[Edited on 20/8/15 by russtik]

SouthernKitCars.com

'Like' SKCC on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Southernkitcars

tims31

posted on 20/8/15 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
hows it wired up, where is it getting its source from?

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

russtik

posted on 20/8/15 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
It's just a simple reed switch, 2 wires (earth + feed from digidash).

SouthernKitCars.com

GeoffT

posted on 20/8/15 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Is the reed switch in the correct orientation in relation to the magnet - the magnet should pass the end of the reed, i.e. the short side opposite the wire, not the longest side. Getting this wrong can cause the speed doubling effect you mention.

The reed switch on my acewell became a bit intermittent, I rather objected to paying the inflated acewell price and used one of these, worked perfectly....

russtik

posted on 20/8/15 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
This is the type of switch I have, the magnet passes the tip.

SouthernKitCars.com

GeoffT

posted on 20/8/15 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
That's a different type to the one fitted to my unit which looked just like the one shown in the link. I'm not sure if the two types are interchangeable.

The issues you mention all sound like a sensor issue though.

britishtrident

posted on 20/8/15 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Wiring/connection issue would be my first suspect.
Over reading to me indicates a connection making and breaking under vibration or movement. As with ABS sensors tracking this type of fault is a lot easier with an even a basic oscilloscope.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

russtik

posted on 20/8/15 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Wiring/connection issue would be my first suspect.
Over reading to me indicates a connection making and breaking under vibration or movement.

Good call, I previously recall a different weak to connection to the dash before so this may be the case for the speedo now. I will investigate...

SouthernKitCars.com

ravingfool

posted on 20/8/15 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Let us know how you get on. I've been putting off resolving this issue on my car too (also acewell and same sensor as you)! I've been prioritising other things but this is now next on my list whenever I get a couple of hours to play with the car.
pekwah1

posted on 21/8/15 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
FYI, speedo worked a treat on the striker before i changed the prop (never got round to mounting it correctly.
Just try and make sure you've got a nice solid bracket for the sensor, and that the magnet is passing very close (within a few mm max) and again, mine worked a treat! Hope this helps.

Also, there are some interesting settings on the acewell that if you get wrong will give ridiculous readings so worth a good read of the manual

russbost

posted on 22/8/15 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
To do what you describe it pretty much has to be either a connection making & breaking or the sensor itself failing.

I would suggest check all connections in the path between sensor & Acewell, if nothing obvious then with the car stationary & engine off, so no vibration, remove the sensor & run a magnet back & forth past the tip, this should generate a speed signal which will vary with frequency depending how quickly you move the magnet back & forth. If the reading is consistent then the sensor is almost certainly ok, if not then probably sensor fault. Assuming sensor appears ok get someone else to wiggle all the wiring & connections to see if you can simulate the fault, might point you at the correct bit of wiring to examine/replace.

If it does prove to be a sensor we have them from stock

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
ravingfool

posted on 24/8/15 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1
FYI, speedo worked a treat on the striker before i changed the prop (never got round to mounting it correctly.
Just try and make sure you've got a nice solid bracket for the sensor, and that the magnet is passing very close (within a few mm max) and again, mine worked a treat! Hope this helps.

Also, there are some interesting settings on the acewell that if you get wrong will give ridiculous readings so worth a good read of the manual

Yeah I'm not too worried about this in my case but always interested to see what similar problems people are having - helps me rule out or consider other solutions if it turns out to be more complicated than expected.

Oddly the speedo worked fine for the short time before the magnet made a break for it; then when I plonked a new magnet on I've ended up with an erratic reading and approximately double what it should be. With the weather being what it has been recently I've just been getting out in the car whenever the sun shines briefly but haven't had the time to play with the setup.

I know it worked ok before though so hopefully it should just be a case of tinkering with it a bit.

I've got a holiday coming up shortly and then some rather more pressing issues to resolve afterwards so I reckon the car is going to be off the road until October:

Issue 1. I've been suffering with an air leak which has been causing a high idle at tickover (and getting worse). I fixed a crack in the manifold but this didn't improve things. On removing the manifold entirely I found one more hairline crack but when showing my girlfriend what I was up to (she occasionally pretends to be interested to humour me) she pointed out that on the underside of the manifold she could see clear daylight between one of the trumpets and the airbox!

Issue 2. passenger side engine mount has begun to collapse!

Other than these problems the car drove really nicely on a quick drive on Friday!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.