Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Tack Welding ?
mattpilmoor

posted on 9/12/04 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Tack Welding ?

Has anybody got any useful tips for tack welding the chassis?

Clamping tubes?
Preparing tubes?
Welder Settings?

etc.

I'll be using a Clarke 160T.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Matt

derf

posted on 9/12/04 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
I started out with 2 1/2" thick pieces of plywood as a base, layed out the chassis on the wood, drew outlines as references so they don't move, then cut small blocks and screwed them in place around the lower frame. Then I tacked the lower chassis together, added the 6 uprights, and the front piece, then I drilled big holes in the plywood, and used large wood clamps to hold the upper part of the chassis down. From there I removed the tacked chassis off the wood and onto jack stands. I added alot of parts to the frame after that, then I put the chassis back in the wooden plywood base, and finished off the welding.

The chassis from first laying it out did distort slightly, but it is so slight that it just barely crossed the original marker line that I drew. From previous experience building a go cart, if you don't make a good jig in the very begining during welding it will distort itself alot, the jig showed me where to weld next by which way the chassis distorted, especially the first few welds, where the chassis is only tacked together.

[Edited on 9/12/04 by derf]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.