Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Criminals at it Again!
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 12/10/15 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Criminals at it Again!

Yep, just had a call from Microsoft Technical Support. Haven't had one for about 6 months, so assumed they had gone away, or that our blubberment had started taking these criminals seriously.

I played along, after being duped into answering the phone - the normal 'Withheld' filter being fooled - apparently the call ID from Peterborough. "They" attempted to get a hold of my (virtual) PC by directing me to 'showmypc', an action which must irritate those guys immensely.

Just let your nearest, dearest and (perhaps) older family know that these criminals are still doing it.

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 12/10/15 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Received a similar call at my parents house the other week. Thought it would be funny to play along (was a quiet work day), so went through the whole rig morale of the conversation. When I stopped them after about 10 minutes, I said "Sorry, can you tell me again which part of Microsoft you're calling from?" I was given the answer "This is the Windows Technical Support Team". When I said I worked for a multi-million pound ICT firm supplying public and private sector with hardware, software and complete lifecycle services (well, I left a few years back) and that I'd have my technical support team look into the supposed "issues" with the PC, they called me a fraudster repeatedly. Oh the irony. I suggested they do their homework better in future, and try to sound more convincing with their sales pitch. The guy mumbled and then hung up on me.

One before that was about 3 months ago, and kept him going for about 15 minutes trying to find the Windows key/function before suggesting that I was confused because my computer had a picture of an Apple on it....

Sometimes you've got to be cruel to be kind.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

theconrodkid

posted on 12/10/15 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
i had one a few weeks ago,youngish female from india by the sound of it,i said she had a nice name and voice and sugested she came over for a threesome with my girlfriend....she hung up for some strange reason

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

britishtrident

posted on 12/10/15 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
My "Call Saint" call blocker works wonders http://www.callsaint.co.uk/ £30 well spent.

Because of sacammers and telepests Landlines have become almost useless for voice communication.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

David Jenkins

posted on 12/10/15 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
I also have a call-blocker - it automatically blocks the usual suspects, and I also have the option to press a button if I happen to answer a dodgy call. Pressing the button means that the number is blocked from then on.

I had a similar call this morning - 10 seconds in I pressed the button...

...we never answer "withheld" numbers either, but they do have the option to leave a message if they feel like it - they never do.

[Edited on 12/10/15 by David Jenkins]

Irony

posted on 12/10/15 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
If they call me I try and get info out of them. Once i said I was expecting another call and could I ring him back. He gave me his number. Called a few days later and told person that they'd won a competition that meant a cheque was payable to the bill payer of the phone number. Gave me a name and address which I passed to the cops. Heard nothing though.
rf900rush

posted on 12/10/15 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Call Blockers. Why?

I have such a laugh with them.

Last one, "MS support", left my colleague crying with laughter.

I think the "I'm running DOS 3.2" did not help.

Looks likeI have been black listed now, as they seemed to have stopped

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 12/10/15 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rf900rush
Call Blockers. Why?

I have such a laugh with them.

The novelty wears off when you receive several of these calls every week. We also get at least 1 'withheld' call every day. Not to mention the extremely dodgy 'reduce your energy costs' calls we used to get regularly from a company in Colchester (I think those cowboys got shut down recently).

gremlin1234

posted on 12/10/15 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
my sister recommended using a whistle,
an acme thunderer should do the job...

rf900rush

posted on 13/10/15 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
I guess I'm lucky, very few at home.The wife did put us on some no cold calls register, which may help.
At work we get 1 or 2 a month, last coulpe were the energy scams. If I get to answer the next energy scam call, I'm going for the "we have one of
those free energy devices as seen on you tube....".

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Macbeast

posted on 13/10/15 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
" My computer is in another room "
( long pause )
" Ok I have turned it on "
" Sorry, it takes a long time to start up "
( long pause )
" I don't know - I'll go and see if it's started yet "
( long pause )
" OK, it's started, What now ? "
" OK Ill have to go to the other room "
( Long pause )
" Sorry, what did you say I had to do ? "

etc etc etc

You can spice it up with audio of footsteps, doors creaking open and shut etc

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

jollygreengiant

posted on 13/10/15 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
I've not had ANYTHING like this for about 6 years now, when I did get them, I used to turn it around on them, immediately, with .......

OK, my call is being recorded for legal purposes too, just to let you know. Now who did you say you were calling on behalf off. .......

Ok so you want me for what reason again. .......

And your name is. .........

Where exactly are you again, ok that doesn't matter your phone number is currently being traced for my legal department. ........ yes we now have the address for all our legal documents to go to. ..........

So you would like to use me for (whatever). Well you do understand my standard contract terms and conditions for this sort of approach. .......

No, you don't understand or you don't know. ............

Who did you obtain my number from again. ..........

Ah, it's alright for we shall be suing them for breach of contract and conditions. .........

Now to the nitty gritty, my terms are that you will personally pay me £50,000 for the use of my name, any photos are at £20,000 per photo, and ANY documentation/editorial is lineage is at the rate of £50,000 per standard column inch. ALL I need now is for you to agree with these terms by giving me a simple affirmative answer on this phone call now and my legal department can wrap this call up and finalise the contract.

AND so it went on, I had one of them crying once before they hung up trying desperately NOT to say yes. One lasted about 45 minutes before they hung up. ALL the expense of the call on their dime.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Ivan

posted on 13/10/15 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
If I have nothing better to do I keep them going all afternoon with fictitious clients interrupting and asking them to phone back after a quarter of an hour several times then just before the software download point tell them that my computer has crashed, pretend to reboot several times and fail and then tell them that it's their fault and that they are not to phone me again. One can normally take about an hour of their time this way.
SteveWallace

posted on 13/10/15 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
I had a company phone me once trying to sell me an uninterruptable power supply for domestic use. From the line that they started to spin, it was clear that they were trying to scare people (particularly pensioners) into thinking that we were going to get lots of winter power cuts due to lack of generating capacity... "National Grid has announced that there is insufficient capacity to meet demand and therefore there will be power cuts this winter..."

The caller sounded like she was a UK student who had innocently taken a part time job at a call centre and was just reading a script, so when I told her that I worked for National Grid (which I did), she burst out laughing and thought that it was hilarious. We then had quite a pleasant chat whilst I explained to her how the NG winter demand forecasts actually worked.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.