Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Track Day Tyres
Oddified

posted on 16/10/15 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Track Day Tyres

The tyres on my car were obviously well past they're best at Franks last day at Blyton, i'm not complaining as they're 3 years old and have done many track days and loads of burn outs at rwyb events = rock hard and no grip!.

Time for some new ones, but i'm reading on various forums/internet that many track day tyres will loose the E marking because they will no longer meat EU rules on environment/noise/wet weather grip etc and this will take effect from the beginning of 2016?.

I assume that tyres bought now which still have the E mark will remain road legal (until they're worn out of course!)?.

I don't race in any class/series so what the MSA does with list 1b and 1c etc doesn't matter to me, but i still want to put a decent track day tyre on the car which i can also use on the road.

Anyone know what is what, and which tyres will loose their E's?

Ian

cr500dom

posted on 16/10/15 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Yokohama A048`s lose the E mark.

R888`s are still ok I believe

Avon CR500`s and ZZR`s and ZZS`s are still emarked if you are running something light ?
HTH
Dom

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 16/10/15 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Nankang ns2r are very good .
jeffw

posted on 16/10/15 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cr500dom
Yokohama A048`s lose the E mark.

R888`s are still ok I believe

Avon CR500`s and ZZR`s and ZZS`s are still emarked if you are running something light ?
HTH
Dom

It only applies to new tyres and not existing ones. All the Yokohama are G rated and therefore no longer E marked along with some Avon ZZRs (all but one size), Kumho V70 and several others.

The F rated tyres include

'New' R888, R888R, Avon CR500 & ZZS.

loggyboy

posted on 16/10/15 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ian locostzx9rc2
Nankang ns2r are very good .

NS2rs are good price, and IMO, a great fast road tyre, but I killed my NS2rs with a couple of hundred miles of road use and one (admittedly heavy right footed) trackday at Truxton last month. I was disappointed they worse so quickly as did feel quite good and they were also the medium compound so expected them to last at least a couple of trackdays longer. The far edges just started to delaminate on them also.

I bought some part worn ZZRs (about 3-4mm left) and they did about 4 heavy trackdays before showing signs of delamination. More expensive to buy, but on a mileage basis perhaps not so bad!

Mistral Motorsport

jeffw

posted on 16/10/15 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
ZZRs are very good, as will the new ZZS (which will be a replacement for the CR500 and be better in the damp/wet conditions) be.

loggyboy

posted on 16/10/15 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Also the NS2rs squeal like a pig in heat!

Mistral Motorsport

Oddified

posted on 16/10/15 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
So if i'm reading right, so long as the tyres have F rating/s or better they'll still get the E marking and it's tyres with G rating/s that won't be road legal shortly.

The Avon ZZS don't seem to easy to find on line, the rest of the candidates have numerous distributors.

Ian

jeffw

posted on 16/10/15 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Fundamentally you can't now buy new tyres (not old stock but recently made tyres) which are not F or better that are E marked. You can still buy old stock G rated tyres and use them as they are E Marked or use your existing E Marked tyres.

Except in Sprinting where the MSA have put all the G tyres (regardless of E Mark) in List 1C for 2016, road going cars are only allowed List 1A or 1B so all my tyres are outlawed for next year....

Avon ZZS can be bought from BMTR http://bmtrracing.com/ or Caterham.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.