Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: crank case breather
windy

posted on 25/10/15 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
crank case breather

Hello, help needed. I have a Sierra 1.8 cvh in my Haynes Roadster and fitting bike carbs abut don't know what to do with the crank case breather, pcv etc. I have trawled the forum, but due to my lack of knowledge and experience I have not been able to make sense of what I have read so far, such as oil catch tank and various types of filter. Would some one please explain to me in simple terms what I need to do. Thanks
SJ

posted on 25/10/15 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Just connect the crank breater into the filter backplate.

Thats what I did with my CVH [but with the standard carb] and it worked fine.

Don't see the point of a catch tank. Unless the engine is well passed it you shouldn't be getting anything other than fumes out of the breather.
]

windy

posted on 25/10/15 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
crank case breather

Thanks for your reply SJ, I am using bike carbs (zx6r) there is no filter on it yet I will have to make some thing for it. My understanding is that the crank case is under a small amount of pressure and the vapours from the crank case go into the inlet manifold via the pcv, the position this goes in allows the vapours to enter all four cylinders. With bike carbs there are four carburetors individually connected to a cylinder, if I were to connect to the air filter would this not just make a mess in the air filter as I would be introducing the crank case vapours before the air and fuel are mixed. Please correct me if I am wrong, I really do need to get this sorted in my head.
SJ

posted on 25/10/15 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
I have zx6 cars on my Zetec and this is how mine is set up. I've never seen anything inside the filter.

Stu

avagolen

posted on 25/10/15 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I have a similar setup.

Crankcase breather - remove the internals.

Cam Cover breather - connect to the Crankcase breather with a 'T' (copper in my case).

Connect the other connection on the 'T' to a catchtank.

If the Crankcase breather hose to the 'T' is uphill, there will be
a run back to crankcase of some of the oil that collects in the hose.

HTH.

Len.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

big-vee-twin

posted on 25/10/15 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
You need to remove the PCV and connect the crankcase to an oil catch tank, can do the same with cam breather too.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

SJ

posted on 25/10/15 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Text if I were to connect to the air filter would this not just make a mess in the air filter as I would be introducing the crank case vapours before the air and fuel are mixed.

This is how all the carbed production cars I've ever had have been connected up.

Stu

windy

posted on 26/10/15 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
crank case breather

Thanks Gents for your replies, I will follow your advice, although tbh I still do not understand the process involved.

Regards Pete.

Paul Turner

posted on 26/10/15 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
All carb engine production cars I owned in the past simply put the crank case vapours into the air filter. Most put rocker cover vapours strait to atmosphere.

BUT

on both my Sevens with X-Flows and Zetecs I have piped both the cam/rocker cover and crankcase breathers (with valves removed) to a plastic bottle.

Its a simple solution (worked for 26 years with no issues) and complies with circuit regs should you decide to do trackdays. Excess oil vapour in the fuel mixture can cause detonation which is not desirable.

Why complicate matters.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.