Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electrolysis rust removal and chrome
r1_pete

posted on 14/11/15 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Electrolysis rust removal and chrome

I have a motorcycle rim on which the visible chrome is perfect, huwever the back where the tyre fits is rusty.

I was thinking of electrolysis using a curved bar following the cyrve of the rim, going around the rim in segments.

Question is, will it effect the chrome? I understant electrolysis effectively works 'line of sight' but just wondered if there was a chance of wrecking the chrome which would be on the opposite side of the rim to the metral bar....

Cheers.

Pete.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mini-sprite

posted on 14/11/15 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
I've cleaned loads of rusty parts through electrolysis but haven't put anything with chrome in the tank. I would of thought if there was a chance of the electrolyte getting under the chrome and finding some rust then it would remove/change the rust and risk bubbling it.

Paul

MikeR

posted on 14/11/15 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't the solution have a nasty reaction with stainless producing something poisonous? If I'm right I'd be careful about chrome in case their is a similar outcome. Have you tried searching the internet, someone has bound to have done it.
r1_pete

posted on 14/11/15 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, i did google it and found nothing.

I guess a mechanical removal will be safest....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Barlidge

posted on 14/11/15 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Doesn't the solution have a nasty reaction with stainless producing something poisonous? If I'm right I'd be careful about chrome in case their is a similar outcome. Have you tried searching the internet, someone has bound to have done it.

As above, although from memory I believe its when stainless/chrome is used as the anode.

Build Diary: http://www.roadster-builders.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=111

coozer

posted on 15/11/15 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
I've done a good few brake calipers and no effect on the chrome plated pistons.

Electrolysis only attacks ferrous oxide. If there's any rust under the chrome it will lift it off but that helps identity the problem.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.