Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: to chop or not to chop that is
museumman

posted on 13/12/15 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
to chop or not to chop that is

In the 1970s I used to have a Rover 105s saloon chopped into a pickup with a harvey frost crane in the back it was brilliant.Last week a pizza delivery driver decided to write his car off on the back of my parked Mercedes W124 E class estate daily driver the only damage is tail gate and light lenses very strong car I didn't claim because my insurance company said it would be written off I am a motor trader. My transit tow truck is very rotten. Is there any legal reason why I cant build a pick up tow truck from the merc with the minimum fuss it is OM606 engine so unlimited power I plan to register it as recovery vehicle what do you think
jollygreengiant

posted on 13/12/15 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
I would think, IVA. Unitary body modifications.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Dick Axtell

posted on 13/12/15 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Recently saw an older BMW estate converted into a pick-up. So why not your old Merc?

However, you will have to maintain structural integrity of the bodyshell (unless there is a separate chassis?). Probably some form of "firewall" on the back of what will become the cab.

[Quote]I would think, IVA. Unitary body modifications.[/Quote]

And what he said.

[Edited on 13/12/15 by Dick Axtell]

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

mark chandler

posted on 13/12/15 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Do'nt you need double wheels at the back these days if picking up a car?
theconrodkid

posted on 13/12/15 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
What Mark said ^^^^^,there is a weight limit on tyres,landrovers and single rear wheel transits were outlawed years ago for that very reason.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

perksy

posted on 13/12/15 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Probably a non starter once you've looked at all the red tape to go through

Insurance. registration, liability etc

mark chandler

posted on 13/12/15 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Might still make a worthy 'ute' once you have welded up the back doors.
museumman

posted on 14/12/15 at 05:52 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies and your time everybody you helped me focus on what i should do i loved that old rover it was actually a replacement for a landrover that folded up it was completely safe and merc would have been better but time moves on i am still going to chop it but it will have to drop down the priority list behind all the other builds i have going at the moment sigh sad!!!!!!!!!!
museumman

posted on 14/12/15 at 06:03 AM Reply With Quote
ps i have decided to forget the tow truck idea but still chop it into ausie style pick up/ put a big turbo on the om606 / join the queue for iva/ get the camera out shoot a utube video hooning and doughnutting EVERYONE NEEDS A HOBBY!!!!!!
pewe

posted on 14/12/15 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Surely if the damage is that light and it's not written off it would be easier/faster to repair the damage, flog it and buy a ute/tow truck - or am I missing something?
Cheers, Pewe.

museumman

posted on 15/12/15 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
HI PEWE thanks for the reply you are completely sensible and right to some degree the thing is I love this car its OM606 diesel intercooler turbo 174 in standard trim and 5000 plus RPM yes really and fast on the throttle and bullet proof not very eco friendly its ok as an estate but I only ever use the front seats and am always filling the back up with kit car engines and stuff and its sorta the right shape I think its gotta happen. This one in the link is like mine all I need is scania turbo its already the right fuel pump for 500 hp*********

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24afjVqm2Uw

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.