Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil Accumulators
Trev Borg

posted on 13/12/04 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
Oil Accumulators

Come on all you clever boffins out there. Someone tell me if these are a good idea or not.

I am gonna have to reduce the sump on my car by about 85mm cos at the moment it is sat on the floor.

Was looking at dry sumping it, but it has been suggested that this may be an alternative.

I have been giving this some severe head scatching over the last few days, and it all seems a bit too simple. (or is it me being a bit too simple).

Someone out there provide me with some inspiration !

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.

By that time, who cares.

You're a mile away, and you've got his shoes

Dusty

posted on 14/12/04 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
If you have to shorten the sump can you work out a way of getting the lost capacity back by widening it. You may have to baffle it more effectively but its much cheaper than the alternatives.
Trev Borg

posted on 14/12/04 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
I can but even i would have thought that if i was to make the sump wider, it would be more likely to suffer from starvation even with the baffling.

It will have a larger area to run into. or will it ?

By that time, who cares.

James

posted on 14/12/04 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
85mm? 25mm is standard to chop out of a Pinto sump- how deep is the Alfa one initially? Have you thought about dry sumping it? There was a post in the last fortnight or so which talked about low cost dry sumping IIRC.

HTH,
James

[Edited on 14/12/04 by James]

AvonBelgium

posted on 14/12/04 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe a sump from a GTV6, alfa6,alfa90 v6 or alfa 75 v6 can be a solutions?
britishtrident

posted on 14/12/04 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
I suspect the trouble with an oil accumulator is if you get surge it could turn into an air accumulator.
Stu16v

posted on 14/12/04 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking about it, I tend to agree.
I always thought an oil accumulator was a good idea, but when it is looked into a bit more 'in depth', it does make me wonder whether it is only prolonging the length of time it takes before the engine succumbs to destruction due to pressure loss.

A car is driven hard around a corner, to the point where the oil pickup pipe is partially uncovered. Not total pressure loss, but enough to send 'slugs' of air into the oil galleries. In this situation, would the accumulator react at all? Pressure is still present in the system, but there will be certain starvation, if only over a very small period of time.

The same car is driven around a corner even harder, and the pickup pipe is sucking air. Enough this time to discharge the accumulator. Again, there is likely to be a slug of air before the accumulator reacts. And when it does discharge, according to where it is situated in the system, some oil will be sent into the gallery, but some is likely to be sent to the oil pump itself- remember this is now trying to pump air, which it probably isnt very good at...

If there is something I have overlooked with my thoughts, or the way the system works, I am happy to be corrected, because I have never actually played with one 'in the flesh' so to speak.
I just think that ideally, the cause (surge) wants to be cured in the first place, rather than using a device to 'hide' the symptoms...
HTH Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

Trev Borg

posted on 14/12/04 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
the sump is deeper than a deep thing from deepsville.

See piccy below (i did intend to clean the offending item some time in the near future)

As for surge turning it into an air accumulator, I though that when the oil pick up is starved of oil, the pressure drops, and the oil that is already in the accumulator is then forced out by the pressure behind the piston, and thus lubes the engine. I would assume that there will be enough oil in the thing to cope with a little surge before it can find some oil from the pick up .

Dry sumpimg
I posted the thread about cheap dry sumpimg, and it was in there that the accusump was mentioned.

Looking on some american sites, it seems that some of the dry sump pumps are a bit cheaper, but not exactly locost.

The 'OIL ACCUMULATORS' tho seem very cheap ($37)

Also there is supposed to be an article in one of the car mags this month on cheap dry sumping, so still more ideas to think of .

Thanks for your replies, keep them coming Rescued attachment 2004_1214_190848AA.JPG
Rescued attachment 2004_1214_190848AA.JPG

By that time, who cares.

Stu16v

posted on 14/12/04 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
As for surge turning it into an air accumulator, I though that when the oil pick up is starved of oil, the pressure drops, and the oil that is already in the accumulator is then forced out by the pressure behind the piston, and thus lubes the engine. I would assume that there will be enough oil in the thing to cope with a little surge before it can find some oil from the pick up .

Indeed. But for all this to happen in the first place, air has to enter the system (else there wouldnt be a pressure drop - due to surge at least- in the first place). Air means no oil to the critcal parts, probably when the engine needs it most...

Dont just build it.....make it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.