Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fiberglass advice
Daf

posted on 13/1/16 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Fiberglass advice

Evening all!

I've never played with fiberglass before and I'd like a little advice from those of you who have. My nosecone is from GBS and has cutouts for their light brackets - I have a different light set up so would like to extend the back of the nose cone in this area. A picture paints a 'thousand words they say:

Any advice on the best way to go about this would be much appreciated

madteg

posted on 13/1/16 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Spend a hour or two watching fiberglass videos on youtube.
Daf

posted on 13/1/16 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by madteg
Spend a hour or two watching fiberglass videos on youtube.

Done

mark chandler

posted on 13/1/16 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
I make sure I Wear latex gloves, wrap the bits i do not want it to fasten to in cling film then shovel it in working out any air bubbles, once it's cured trim off the excess.
twybrow

posted on 13/1/16 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
You need to grind the edges back to give you a chamfer from the inside. Then find a suitable backing material eg the side of an ice cream tub. Cut it to be oversized and stick over the outer face of what you want to fill. Then working from the inside, wax the surface you have created. Then gel coat followed by the fibre glass (waiting for each layer to start to firm up before laying the next) . Watch videos to get the stippling technique to fully wet out and remove excess resin. Once all cured, remove the plastic outer and fill and fair as needed at the joint and edges. Done!

I have fixed Sunseekers in this way (up to a 2m hole!) , and the customers were happy with the results. Good luck.

Daf

posted on 14/1/16 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, latex gloves now ordered and I've got the wife finishing off our ice cream so I can have the tub! I'll let you know how I get on.
Mikef

posted on 14/1/16 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Probably dont need to say it. But do wear a GOOD mask for any sanding / grinding. I would also get a set of disposable overalls, I know its only a small job , but the dust, and glass particles get every where, and you will be itching for weeks.
Daf

posted on 14/1/16 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikef
Probably dont need to say it. But do wear a GOOD mask for any sanding / grinding. I would also get a set of disposable overalls, I know its only a small job , but the dust, and glass particles get every where, and you will be itching for weeks.

Good tip - thanks, I made the mistake once of wrapping an exhaust manifold with fiberglass exhaust wrap and no gloves - like you said I was itching for weeks!

Mikef

posted on 14/1/16 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Dont forget that mask.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.