Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike can with car engine?
Nickp

posted on 19/1/16 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Bike can with car engine?

I've been wondering what silencer I should use on my BMW engined Haynes to get it through the IVA without spending £100's just on a silencer.
I was thinking of 2 bike cans, one for each set of 3 pots. But then I noticed an Aprilia Mille can for sale on here which has a 2.5" inlet, which in theory should be big enough. The Mille has 500cc cylinders and revs to 10K+. The BMWs cylinders are less than 500cc and it revs to 7K. Both engines only fire one cylinder at a time (obviously) so does this mean the can will flow OK for the big 6 pot or am I barking up the wrong tree?? If it's too quiet / restrictive I can always swap it out for a Mille race can once IVA'd

Slimy38

posted on 19/1/16 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Probably not a direct answer to your question, but I am tempted to go for a bike can for my car. It's mainly based on aesthetics though, bike cans are designed to be external and are usually polished or coated as such. They're also incredibly easy to get hold of at locost prices, especially standard cans.
Nickp

posted on 19/1/16 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Probably not a direct answer to your question, but I am tempted to go for a bike can for my car. It's mainly based on aesthetics though, bike cans are designed to be external and are usually polished or coated as such. They're also incredibly easy to get hold of at locost prices, especially standard cans.

My thoughts too, and if a std can will fit then so will a race can later

theconrodkid

posted on 19/1/16 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
i had an R1 can on my 2.0 zetek,nice and quiet with no loss of powah

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

nick205

posted on 19/1/16 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I can't see why it wouldn't work and get you through the IVA test. From memory of my SVA test some years ago they check edges and noise not power or revs.

SPYDER

posted on 19/1/16 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a standard R1 can on my car. The were so cheap that I bought two to give me two hanging brackets. I fitted a different tail pipe but apart from that it is standard. I don't think its robbing power much either. If at all.

Nickp

posted on 19/1/16 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
I've got a standard R1 can on my car. The were so cheap that I bought two to give me two hanging brackets. I fitted a different tail pipe but apart from that it is standard. I don't think its robbing power much either. If at all.

Cool, what size is your inlet?

steve8274

posted on 19/1/16 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Do they need much modification to fit? Need a new exhaust on my zero and maybe this is the solution.
Are there certain ones to go for?
Cheapest r1 I can see if around £55 plus postage and it has a few scrapes etc. Does that sound right?

Slimy38

posted on 19/1/16 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve8274
Do they need much modification to fit? Need a new exhaust on my zero and maybe this is the solution.
Are there certain ones to go for?
Cheapest r1 I can see if around £55 plus postage and it has a few scrapes etc. Does that sound right?

I got one for my bike (Yamaha Thundercat), brand new apart from a dent on the lip and a layer of dust, for the princely sum of £20.

Find a bike breakers nearby, turn up with a few notes and an open mind. And a tape measure.

daniel mason

posted on 19/1/16 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a titanium bmw s1000 rr standard road silencer for sale if you want. It's light and has around 60mm inlet
SPYDER

posted on 19/1/16 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
The R1 inlet side is 65mm IIRC. I paid £20 for one and £8 for the other. 5JJ model. 2001-2002. Theres one finishing on ebay NOW!! £33.
I cut one apart and they do look quite restrictive but I put my faith in Yamaha.
Get two like I did. You'll have two super hanging brackets and a spare end cap with a 65mm hole in to use at the outlet. I fitted a nice 65mm slash cut tailpipe.
My car made 176hp with this can fitted. Thats spot on for the 3SGE engine.
I then fitted GSXR throttle bodies and it went up to 194. Like I said above, I don't think there's much restriction.

[Edited on 19/1/16 by SPYDER]

Nickp

posted on 20/1/16 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
I've got a titanium bmw s1000 rr standard road silencer for sale if you want. It's light and has around 60mm inlet

Ta Dan, I've seen these on ebay and they appear to be straight through as it looks like they have another silencer under the engine. Could be a bit fruity for the IVA!!

Nickp

posted on 20/1/16 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
The R1 inlet side is 65mm IIRC. I paid £20 for one and £8 for the other. 5JJ model. 2001-2002. Theres one finishing on ebay NOW!! £33.
I cut one apart and they do look quite restrictive but I put my faith in Yamaha.
Get two like I did. You'll have two super hanging brackets and a spare end cap with a 65mm hole in to use at the outlet. I fitted a nice 65mm slash cut tailpipe.
My car made 176hp with this can fitted. Thats spot on for the 3SGE engine.
I then fitted GSXR throttle bodies and it went up to 194. Like I said above, I don't think there's much restriction.

[Edited on 19/1/16 by SPYDER]

Looks like R1 could be favourite up to now. Any chance you can confirm the inlet is 65mm please?

SPYDER

posted on 20/1/16 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ive just been out and measured. Its actually 60.5mm OD
Sorry about that.
You might not find a standard can at 2.5" inlet.

daniel mason

posted on 20/1/16 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
It may not be great on noise!
Nickp

posted on 20/1/16 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
It may not be great on noise!

I think the noise would be great, there'd just be a lot of it!!

kj

posted on 21/1/16 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
I have a stainless one in my garage off my 1700 x-flow its got a few marks on it but cheap if you want it, I can e-mail pics.

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.