Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 Overhaul
J90rdn

posted on 22/1/16 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9 Overhaul

Currently stripping a type 9 - stripping to understand it, replace gaskets and bearings etc. Doubtless will have a multitude of questions throughout the process.

Have half stripped already, and during the process noticed the 5th gear locking spring and pin were missing. Wondering if there would be a reason for this, and if not (trying not to question where they are!!!! They are not in the housing anywhere) where would I get these parts from?

Thanks

theprisioner

posted on 22/1/16 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
BGH

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

Paul Turner

posted on 22/1/16 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Different vintages of Type 9 used different 5th gear interlocking mechanisms. One used the pin and spring, the other didn't. Suspect yours will the one that didn't.
J90rdn

posted on 22/1/16 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turner
Different vintages of Type 9 used different 5th gear interlocking mechanisms. One used the pin and spring, the other didn't. Suspect yours will the one that didn't.

Ah, really. Thought it was a bit strange. Are there any markings anywhere which would confirm this?

dhutch

posted on 22/1/16 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theprisioner
BGH
Yet to do a lot with my own box, but when I needed a new roll-pin for the shifter rod and the seal+coreplug for the speedo take off, they where top notch.

Daniel

obfripper

posted on 22/1/16 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
The early gearboxes have a higher square level bung and a 5th selector pin/spring, later ones have a 10mm allen key bung lower down and a different type of 5th selector mech.
That may not be enough to tell if components from multiple boxes have been used to build up the box previously.
My current box is like this because i bought it with the tailcase cracked off and rebuilt it with a spare box to end up with a straight cut mongrel.

Dave

J90rdn

posted on 28/1/16 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
Spoke to Chris at BGH today. Fantastic service. Literally gave me about 45 mins of his time talking me through which parts I would need, and more importantly which ones I probably didn't. Very happily handed over money for new gaskets, seals, bearings, speedo core plug and new oil gallery. All being delivered Friday so re-assembly can begin.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.