Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blacktop Sump
Fandango

posted on 22/1/16 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Blacktop Sump

Hi all.

Looking for a shortened sump for the Blacktop install.

Has anyone any experience of these;?

FORD ZETEC STEEL SUMP AND PICK UP PIPE, BRISCA F2, HOT ROD, KIT CAR, ROBIN HOOD

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson

dhutch

posted on 22/1/16 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fandango
Looking for a shortened sump for the Blacktop install.
Myself also.

It looks a nice enough job, but at the same time also £185 for what appears as basically just a box! That said, if they have got the baffles right and it does what it needs to.....

This is the sellers website:
http://www.premiermotorsportdevelopments.co.uk/brisca-f2-zetec-sump-and-pick-up-pipe-1421-p.asp

Daniel

Fandango

posted on 22/1/16 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it does look to be decent stuff on the website.

I guess it is either that, or pay someone £100+ to modify your own, which from what I have read, seems a bit hit and miss.

Or pay Arrow Engineering on here £275

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson

dhutch

posted on 22/1/16 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I guess it is either that, or pay someone £100+ to modify your own, which from what I have read, seems a bit hit and miss.

Assuming you dont do it yourself.

Other options are the very nice Raceline cast ali version, £400 new.
Or the fabricated Ali based Dunnel one, which is also not cheap.
http://www.toyne.org.uk/kc-mods-sumpchop.html

But no, it would be interesting if anyone has any experience of the PremMotorDev sump.

Daniel

J90rdn

posted on 23/1/16 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Raceline is alot more that £400 - more like £550 by the time you have added windage tray, gasket and VAT. Having said that, I've never heard a bad word said about the Raceline sump, where as others have had mixed results/opinions with the ERA/tiger sump, chopped sumps etc.
rm0rgan

posted on 24/1/16 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Yes it does look to be decent stuff on the website.

Do the cut yourself and then go and make friends with your local garage/welder/fellow Locoster :-)

Sigs are uncool.

big_wasa

posted on 24/1/16 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fandango or pay someone £100+ to modify your own, which from what I have read, seems a bit hit and miss.

Hit and miss in what way ?

Fandango

posted on 24/1/16 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
quote:
Originally posted by Fandango or pay someone £100+ to modify your own, which from what I have read, seems a bit hit and miss.

Hit and miss in what way ?

As in landing up not oil tight.

big_wasa

posted on 24/1/16 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm they aren't that hard to get oil tight. But they do take some time. Helps if you tig weld the corners.

Oil pick up pipe is the most critical bit to get right.

furryeggs

posted on 24/1/16 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
I've also looked st these sumps, if its a direct replacement then where are the bell housing mounting holes? The ali part of my sump has several mounting holes for the bell housing. These dont seem to... which leaves only the top 4 holes for bolting my bellhousing up, and a massive gap exposing the clutch and flywheel????
big_wasa

posted on 24/1/16 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
If you take a look at the T9's former home, the Sierra then you will see the box only connects to the engine via 5 bolts. There is a steel plate or dust cover to keep crap out of the flywheel.

So when modding the black top sump there is lots of chunks of metal to chop of.

Some pictures in this thread

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=174681&page=7

[Edited on 24/1/16 by big_wasa]

Paul Turner

posted on 25/1/16 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by furryeggs
I've also looked st these sumps, if its a direct replacement then where are the bell housing mounting holes? The ali part of my sump has several mounting holes for the bell housing. These dont seem to... which leaves only the top 4 holes for bolting my bellhousing up, and a massive gap exposing the clutch and flywheel????

The type 9 bellhousing mounts to a 2 litre Zetec block with 5 bolts.

The Dunnell sump bolts to the block but not to the bellhousing.

The gap at the bottom is easily filled by making a thin alloy plate that bolts to the 2 bottom bellhousing holes.

My Dunnell sump has been on the car for 15 years now and bolted in this way to 2 Silvertops and a Blacktop.

No issues whatsoever.

But there again a Type 9 bolter to a X-Flow and Pinto in exactly the same way. To my knowledge Ford never bolted the sump to the bellhousing in any application using those engines. If its good enough for Ford its good enough for me.

Fandango

posted on 25/1/16 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Cool.

Cheers everyone, we will go for this, and post the results.

Fandango

posted on 29/1/16 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Still not 100% sure on this.

Can anyone confirm the sump for sale here; http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/34/viewthread.php?tid=202169 made from a 1 piece alloy sump, will be direct replacement for the 2 piece steel / alloy one on my Blacktop?

Cheers

big_wasa

posted on 29/1/16 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
The sump fits but that doesn't mean it's ready to use.

The blacktop sump is in two parts. The alloy part acts as a block brace and as a windage tray.

The silver top has a seperate steel windage tray that bolts to the bottom of two of the bearing caps. The bearing caps are 20mm shorter in a blacktop to miss the alloy baffle. So to mount the silvertop baffle to a blacktop you need the four silvertop bearing cap bolts and four 20x20mm spacers.

If it's got these then it's a direct fit. If you look on scholar engines site ect then these would be an extra fitting kit.

Some weld fittings to the modified alloy sump.

There are so many ways to get the same affect and the only wrong way is the one that starves an engine of oil.

I have done the same as this but I robbed Pete's pic for ease of finding.

[Edited on 29/1/16 by big_wasa]

big_wasa

posted on 29/1/16 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
It's funny, I did a couple of bt sumps a few years back and they didn't make enough to cover the gas and steel
Fandango

posted on 29/1/16 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
It's funny, I did a couple of bt sumps a few years back and they didn't make enough to cover the gas and steel

Fancy doing another one?

big_wasa

posted on 29/1/16 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
I havnt got the time at the moment sorry.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.