posted on 26/1/16 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
rolling tax exemption...sign here

see below ,thanks for pointing that out guys

[Edited on 26/1/16 by theconrodkid]

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

nick205

posted on 26/1/16 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
The link takes you to a webpage that asks you to click a link in an email, but never asks for an email address?

loggyboy

posted on 26/1/16 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
A pointless task IMO
but the corrected link is https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/119497

Mistral Motorsport

nick205

posted on 26/1/16 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
A pointless task IMO
but the corrected link is https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/119497

That link works OK

r1_pete

posted on 26/1/16 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Signed it because I don't think arbitrarily changing it to 40 years is right, but in reality 40 years is probably fair.

You might get a lot of emails as that was your confirmatory link

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sprintB+

posted on 26/1/16 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Signed because it affects me ! Mr angry of Plymouth.
nick205

posted on 26/1/16 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Not being allowed to drive currently and selling my cars it doesn't affect me right now. Things may change in future though!

loggyboy

posted on 26/1/16 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Signed it because I don't think arbitrarily changing it to 40 years is right, but in reality 40 years is probably fair.

I dont think it was arbitrarily changed - the 1973 cut off date was introduced in 1994, when it reached 40 years it was changed to be rolling.

[Edited on 26-1-16 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

nick205

posted on 26/1/16 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Road tax doesn't make sense to me overall anyway - pay the fuel tax for what you use / miles you drive seems to make more sense.

loggyboy

posted on 26/1/16 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Road tax doesn't make sense to me overall anyway - pay the fuel tax for what you use / miles you drive seems to make more sense.

I think the french introduced that principle a few years ago. Certainly would be fairer.

Mistral Motorsport

nick205

posted on 26/1/16 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ It would mean you pay in relation to the miles you drive / road wear you cause!

r1_pete

posted on 26/1/16 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

I think the french introduced that principle a few years ago. Certainly would be fairer.

and toll roads on key routes.....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 26/1/16 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete

I dont think it was arbitrarily changed - the 1973 cut off date was introduced in 1994, when it reached 40 years it was changed to be rolling.

[Edited on 26-1-16 by loggyboy]

Yep you're right I've never really worried about it, as my toy cars have been 60's, my CB750's are both pre 73, and in bits

Relph

posted on 26/1/16 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Signed.

The amount of miles you do in old or classic cars is very minimal. As they are just a fun weekend and good weather cars for the majority of owners.

If in doubt, flat out.

cliftyhanger

posted on 26/1/16 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
VED (it never has been car tax) has nothing to do withroads. Just as ciggie taxes have nothing to do with looking after sick smokers. It all goes in the pot and is spent wherever. We already pay a huge amount of tax on fuels. A bit more seems fair compared to road tax, but high users (lorries) would be heavily penalised. Not really a good thing.
Not sure I support the flat rate VED coming in either, I like the idea of low emissions cars paying less. Just bought a car today, £20/yr. The other modern car is zero VED. And 3 of our other cars are Historic. Just the MX5 is expensive. Ouch.

I think the 40yr historic class is correct. In fact, being honest, it is over generous. I was fully expecting heavy restrictions on usage to come along, but so far nothing has happened. Again, that would be fair, historic vehicles being free but limited mileage or use only for shows or whatever. And if you want to use it every day, pay like you would on a modern car. I don't see increasing the number of historic vehicles being a real votewinner, and was surprised when it reappeared. However, I gather the Tories like their old cars!

mark chandler

posted on 26/1/16 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
My recollection is 25 years was to be rolling originally, they quickly froze it, the car crushing of a few years mitigated the risk of allowing 40 years and beyond qualifying going forwards, they will never bring back 25 years.

Flat rate VED, not heard of that but as new cars have been fiddling emmisions it is not surprising, so I guess the next thing will be based on cubic capacity to force people into smaller cars although a flat VED helps people with big audi's, BMW's Merc's etc so the people that can probally afford this when new anyway.

My trusty Volvo is I think £280 a year for an 06 car, flat rate will bounce that up I,m sure

[Edited on 26/1/16 by mark chandler]

morcus

posted on 26/1/16 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Flat rate starts next year for new cars, though its technically not a flat rate as the first year is based on emissions and for the first 5 years cars that cost more than £40K new have premium and personally I think its a much fairer system (Especially in a world were cars have test figures completely detached from reality).

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

chillis

posted on 26/1/16 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
The 40 yr historic tax class is set to co-inside with the restrictions of use for historic vehicles which essentially may prevent their use as everyday transport.
As for flat rate VED, if all electric super cars are to be penalised tax wise, then the whole idea of tax incentives for low and zero emission vehicles has been undermined Therefore I believe passengers car should all pay the same. The EU already has the satellites in place for road access charging which was supposed to be a charge per mile based on vehicle size/weight carrying, route, emissions, and time of journey. This was meant to replace the VED but has been put on hold due to the implications of fitting so many vehicles in the EU with the necessary tracking equipment and the fact that some countries were unhappy that HGV's would be exempt.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

cliftyhanger

posted on 27/1/16 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chillis
The 40 yr historic tax class is set to co-inside with the restrictions of use for historic vehicles which essentially may prevent their use as everyday transport.

That sounds like you have heard that restrictions ARE in the pipeline?
Care to share??

MikeRJ

posted on 27/1/16 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
VED (it never has been car tax) has nothing to do withroads.

VED certainly is a car tax, the name is self-explanatory "Vehicle Excise Duty".

VED is no longer a "Road tax", but it did used to be. In the 1920's and 1930's VED was used to fund the building of roads, so it was effectively a road tax. In the late 30's VED was changed to a general taxation.

[Edited on 27/1/16 by MikeRJ]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.