Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Silencer design
Beardy

posted on 29/1/16 at 12:47 AM Reply With Quote
Silencer design

I have seen postings on how an expansion chamber can help reduce noise and cool gasses and read many posts here and elsewhere on how the only way to get a quiet, free flowing exhaust is to use a very large box. Assuming you want a pipe that is perhaps 2 - 2 1/2" diameter for a typical engine...

Is there any value in trying something like
http://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=12773
and then putting (welding) a perforated stainless pipe down the middle of the desired diameter?
you would get a considerable empty volume around the inner perforated pipe and you would also have a large volume of acoustic material. Perhaps the material might last a bit longer being protected by some air gap and an additional perforated pipe.
Or is it a daft idea...?

ianhurley20

posted on 29/1/16 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
I made up my own exhaust system with a 400 cell CAT welded in before a stainless 24" x 6" stainless silencer with 2" pipe in and out. Silencer came from http://www.mijexhaust.com/ who sell universal silencers through ebay. It cost about £50.
The car sounds very good with a deep note to the exhaust but is very quiet indeed. I didn't want a lot of noise as it gets to you on a long journey. I suppose my set up is similar to what you propose with the CAT being an expansion chamber then the straight through silencer so I can confirm the idea works.

johnemms

posted on 29/1/16 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
2.0L Blacktop - just put a 2" bore 5"x 24" from MJ Exhausts - drove it round the block - its so quiet..
Someone said longer silencers are more effective than fat ones ... don't quote me lol

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.