Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zetec fitment
Matt159888

posted on 3/2/16 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
zetec fitment

Hi guys starting the zetec fitment to my tiger at last. Pinto coming out in the next few weeks. Just a load of quick questions if you someone can answer. Is a zetec 1800 flywheel a good choice over a bought lightened type from tiger of is the best option to buy tigers one. Also i have zx9 carbs with the tps as i wanted to use the tps with the nodiz system. but on reading people are saying the smaller zx6 type are better for a standard silvertop 2.0 im fitting?. Does anyone have experience on these carbs on a standard motor. And i have a shallow sump i bought from a member that had been cut down flat from a silvertop but doesn't have any baffles in again is this ok to use or will it cause oil starvation. I was going to to get the tiger sump but heard some bad things on leaks and are they baffled?. I have messaged dan st to see what he can do and also heard a bit about bogg bros. Does anyone know a rolling road near grimsby that set up bike carbs once fitted?. i have found a polo rad that should fit i have around 40mm to squeeze a rad in the front and fit vertically to replace the slanted tiger one is this the way forward?. The car is a tiger e1 i was thinking about a zzr or zx9 motor originally but i was told the cat is a bit heavy for one again is this true?. Sorry for all the questions just trying to sort the direction i am going the project has been on hold so long need to get started now!Thanks in advance matt
Paul Turner

posted on 3/2/16 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
I love my Zetec but if I was replacing a Pinto I would use a Duratec. The exhaust is on the same side, the carbs are on the same side and its a newer engine as well. Fitting cost should be similar.
Matt159888

posted on 3/2/16 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
It was something thought about. It is a fair bit more expensive to fit the duratec as the engine is more and bell housing etc. And to boot i got the mondog free so the zetec was whipped out and car scrapped. Lol dont make me change my mind again she will kill me!! lol
Paul Turner

posted on 3/2/16 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt159888
And to boot i got the mondog free so the zetec was whipped out and car scrapped.

Free is good.

1800 flywheel is the best standard flywheel to use, don't ever buy a lightened one, they can explode and do damage to your body. Proper steel jobbies are the best and not that much more expensive

Sump need baffling, without them you can easily kill an engine. Scholar engines do a shallow baffled sump that is great value and works. Again its more than the cheap DIY jobbies but its better than killing engines.

Dennis Vessey at Barnetby is a good chap to go to. Set up my original Zetec many years ago when others had cocked it up. No idea what he is like with bike carbs though, mine had Webers.

Matt159888

posted on 3/2/16 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
I used to race grass cars Vessey was great with them on webbers not sure on bike carbs. ill give him a ring see what he says. Thought the sump would be better baffled motors are cheap but pulling them out would be biggest pain!. Ill check scholar out and see what they do. The bill keeps climbing glad the wife doesnt know this site lol!
big_wasa

posted on 3/2/16 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
There is nothing wrong with a home made sump if done properly and un-baffled would "probably" be fine in a road only car but if your taking it on track it wants baffles.

Scholar now only work on your sump due to lack of supply. But its a good option.

1.8 flywheel is the best budget choice. Can be re drilled for your pinto clutch as well.

Scholar took some meat of my flywheel but its an area where you need experience and expertise and not just a mate with a big lathe.

avagolen

posted on 3/2/16 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Keep/use a 1.8 Zetec flywheel.

If you already have Pinto clutch setup, all you need to do is keep/replace the Zetec pressure plate
and use a Pinto/CVH friction plate. Saves drilling the flywheel etc. and the clutch release
arm / bearing should work fine.

My Zetec build worked fine. New CT133 release bearing and the rest was as above.

Don't forget to put a spigot bearing in the end of the zetec crankshaft.

[Edited on 3/2/16 by avagolen]

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 3/2/16 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
I dont have any experience of kit car fitment but I have a Black Top in a single seater. Injection was removed because of space restriction and I fitted R1 carbs on a DanST manifold. I use standard Weber 180 main jets and the air correction were plugged and redrilled to .075mm. The dyno showed 165bhp @5500 without any other mods except that the fuel is pumped up through a small solid state pump set at 3lbs.
nickm

posted on 3/2/16 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
Chester Sportcars had a good knowledge of bike carbs and when i had a bike carbed car recommended zx6r i think. They sent me a basic/generic map for the 2.0l silvertop and ecu (cant remember the ecu name but it was one of those ones you could make at home in 2006) and it transformed the car.
I never had it properly rolling roaded as i sold it.
Probably worth a call.

Nick M

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.