Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: New owner in Scotland
dome

posted on 15/2/16 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
New owner in Scotland

Evening all. I was going to post in the newbies forum but couldn't so hopefully here will do.

I went "to have a look" at a Locost yesterday and, er, it's in my driveway now...

I know, I know. Never buy the first car you look at it.

It's had an interesting history and possibly a hard life as it's been used for drifting-I'd imagine you'd struggle to get one of these that hasn't been near a track. i'm looking forward to a fettle and some fun with it. I dare say it may be familiar to some on here...

It's running a Vauxhall red top on injection, type 9 box (I'm told but not sure-reverse behind 5th?) and live rear end. The boy selling it got it in August and didn't seem to know much about it. A bit of Google/Facebook stalking brought up the guy who had it before him who had it for at least 3 or 4 years.

He was also a Fifer and when Driftland opened up he took it there for some arse out action-the breaker bar in the pictures operates the hydraulic handbrake Needless to say that breaker bar now occupies a shelf in the garage...

The boy got a bit more serious about drifting and started using saloons which are a bit more driftable. This languished in his garage and was then sold in August.

Here's his pics...

Please be gentle with me as I find my feet. I'll make up a list of things to do to it when I get a chance, meanwhile I welcome any comments/suggestions...

hizzi

posted on 16/2/16 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
welcome. where in fife are you? im in dalgety bay building a haynes roadster
mackei23b

posted on 16/2/16 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome aboard.

Red Top engines are great! Regarding the gearbox, a type 9 has reverse on the left, I'd guess the gearbox is from a rear wheel drive opel / vauxhall.

Cheers

Ian

dome

posted on 16/2/16 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. hizzi I'm near Dunfermline so not too far away if you want to compare notes?.

I did think the gear lever looked a bit Vauxhallish-a Manta has reverse beside first so i'd guess Omega/Carlton maybe? A quick shift of some variety would be a good shout, it's got a fair bit of movement in it. I need to make a list...

hizzi

posted on 16/2/16 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
yep will catch up sometime, have a look on roadster builders forum i have a more detailed build thread there
garyt

posted on 16/2/16 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
hi and welcome , I'm way up north and building a Haynes, that's a nice looking car and glad to hear the "breaker bar" is gone
seriously its a good looking car, take your time getting to know it and enjoy
If your into runs and get togethers check out clan mcwesty, that's the unofficial title of the westy club section in Scotland (you can get a free trial membership on the westfield site) they have a long weekend planned to applecross weekend of 17 / 19 june, and they welcome all 7 type cars. can give you more details if interested.
Any ways welcome and enjoy

remember we are not mad just creatively insane !!!!!

dome

posted on 19/2/16 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Not a lot to report. The previous owner has, er, "fixed" some things so it looks like I need to do these all again. I have some comedy wiring going on... Think I'm going to pull the dash and go through things, and maybe fit a digi dash at the same time as the mechanical speedo won't work with the Omega box(R25-28 it turns out) and the rev conter doesn't work. Anyone want some Smiths dials?

I also have some comedy wiring issues with the lights. I'll start with the rear lights which he rewired and work my way forward...

The brake lights don't work, I've replaced the hydraulic pressure switch which was faulty but still need to bleed it-mines mounted horizontally so not too easy- I have an Eezibleed to pick up from Halfords tonight.

The redtop has been fitted slightly haphazardly. Everything seems to work but the wirings a bit of a mess. Another one for the list. Also some sort of cover for the big hole in the bonnet would be good-i'm thinking raw carbon with a scoop/duct instead of trying to match the paint.

Lots to do, luckily it's not really the weather for driving it anyway!

AlanH

posted on 24/2/16 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Evening folks.
I'm down in Dumfries but would be interested in a meet somewhere,
Can't find the Scottish linkon the westy web site?
Internet not my best attribute?
A

garyt

posted on 24/2/16 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
here you go a link to Clan McWesty, theres a get together this sunday ( I cant make it, iva applied for so cracking on ) You can contact Rab for more details , any probs give me a shout
http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/117722-clan-mcwesty-new-meeting-details/

and details of the Scottish tour....
http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/116795-geoffreys-jaunt-west-coast-of-scotland-tour-june-2016/

Regards Gary

AlanH

posted on 25/2/16 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Gary.
Can't make Sunday but will keep an eye out for the next one.
Best of luck with your iva, been reading some the your posts of your build.
A

dome

posted on 26/2/16 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt i'll make Sunday-currently working through some issues with the brakes and waiting for parts to arrive.
Would be good to meet up with some like minded enthusiaiasts at some point tho, I take it the Westfield guys are friendly towards our cars?

garyt

posted on 26/2/16 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
no worries, and yes they are 7 friendly no matter what type, a couple of them are coming with me when I get my test date

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.