Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Petrol price con?
coozer

posted on 13/3/16 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Petrol price con?

I feel we are being conned in the UK, last year in Tenerife I noted the cost of petrol at €0.90 and today here I am in fuertaventura where due to the drop in oil price its down to €0.71. Even with our crap exchange rate ATM that's still only 55p/llitre....

What a con!!!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

shindha

posted on 13/3/16 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Taxes
craig1410

posted on 13/3/16 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
You probably can't compare the roads in Fuertaventura to the road network here in the UK so you'd expect to pay more in taxes. Just be thankful it's not as bad as in some other parts of the world such as Singapore where virtually nobody can afford to have a car.

You know I chuckled a bit when I saw this thread because there was another thread recently complaining about road tax and a suggestion made on there was just to put all the tax on fuel so you pay as you drive rather than having non-mileage related tax. It just goes to show how difficult it is to be in government because people rarely agree on what is best. More tax, more public spending or less tax and less public spending. Tax everyone equally or tax the better off and encourage them to leave the UK. Tax fuel to encourage more economical cars & driving and help the environment or have things like road tax based on CO2 emissions. The list goes on...

morcus

posted on 13/3/16 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
It might seem a strange concept, but most people wouldn't be better off is petrol was cheaper as all pries and wages are driven by each other. You'd only benefit if you use significantly more than average, falling fuel prices actually makes life more expensive for people who use less than average.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

blakep82

posted on 13/3/16 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Theres no con. The price is displayed, and thats what you pay.

Out of £1 a litre, around 30p is the actual fuel price, then fuel duty is added, then vat added on the price including fuel duty (the tax is taxed) we pay more than many places, but its not a con as such. We pay the displayed price

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

bi22le

posted on 13/3/16 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
I thought this was going to be more about the reason rise that i have noticed. Fuel sat at around 99p for a while and now seems to be creeping back up. Dollar per barrel is unchanged or still dropped so i don't understand why fuel costs have gone up a smidge.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Brook_lands

posted on 14/3/16 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
Two effects, dollar vs pound exchange rate and the price of a barrel of oil. £ has fallen against the $ recently and the $ price of a barrel has gone up a bit.
britishtrident

posted on 14/3/16 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
The price creeping back up is to do with the cost of storage and shipping. Storing oil costs money now the surplus stocks have been reduced the resale price recovers. The number of ship loads being shipped from the middle east has been reduced to match demand but the cost of shipping will not have changed and the tankers that are not working or are put on "slow steaming" (ie operating at half speed to delay arrival) still have to be paid for.

Real soon now expect the taxes on diesel cars to steadily increase for environmental reasons.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

nick205

posted on 14/3/16 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
^^^^

Have to agree here, whilst diesel cars may offer better economy they are not more environmentally friendly about it. Personally I had (can't at the moment due to epilepsy) driven diesels for quite a long time and like them for road driving. The MPG is good and servicing them myself doesn't break the bank either. I have found that the VAG cars I've run really benefit from a new diesel fuel filter annually as well - clears the system out and improves throttle response as well. £6 for a genuine VAG fuel filter and 10 mins to change it is easy work in my book.

Back on the road tax subject it is difficult and you will not make all people happy with a single system. For me I say put it on the fuel so people pay per mile not a set fee per year. Some won't like that, but you have to pay somewhere!

chillis

posted on 14/3/16 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
Theres no con. The price is displayed, and thats what you pay.

Out of £1 a litre, around 30p is the actual fuel price, then fuel duty is added, then vat added on the price including fuel duty (the tax is taxed) we pay more than many places, but its not a con as such. We pay the displayed price

Current pre tax price for regular gasoline is 69 pence/ 71 pence for diesel, the rest is taxes - which is just about to increase by another few pence
The con is that the world oil price is the lowest its been for more than a decade yet the pre tax price doesn't reflect that - hence the same fuel from the same companies is cheaper in different parts of the EU #ripofbrittan

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

DapperRob

posted on 15/3/16 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
I work in a subsidiary of the crude oil industry.

Britain has the highest tax on petrol on any country in Europe. If we assume (as per now) that it is a nice round £1/l, then around 60p of this is duty + tax. The petrol itself (inclusive of exploration and refining) makes up just 30 or so %. Transportation maybe 5p/l, and the forecast typically makes only 1-2p/l.

This is why despite the oil USD/b coming down to below $30/b from the $80/b levels, petrol prices only came down so far.

dave_424

posted on 15/3/16 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Something I learnt only a couple of years ago is that the tax/duty added to fuel isn't a percentage, but a fixed amount close to 60p, so reduced crude oil prices doesn't have a dramatic effect on the price of UK fuel

posted on 15/3/16 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
It's not so much petrol thats a con.

It's the taxing of insurance that IS the con. Watch that go up in the budget tomorrow.

MOT tax next. The price of false number plates will escalate almost out of sight.

Paul G

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.