Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Windscreen crack and MOT
Mr Whippy

posted on 23/3/16 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Windscreen crack and MOT

Hi I got a crack in the windscreen from a thrown up stone (very annoyingly about 2 weeks after it was fitted). The crack is on the far left about where the tax disk use to sit and is about 4 inches long and goes from the edge in.

I used a Halfords crack repair kit which although it did glue it together and it is not spreading or getting worse even through all of winter it is far from invisible, I now need to take the car for an MOT but am not sure if this is a failure.

I had even thought of just getting a sticker and slapping it on the inside to hide it!

Any idea's? thanks.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CosKev3

posted on 23/3/16 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
IIRC it's a fail if the crack goes from one side to another side of screen
Slimy38

posted on 23/3/16 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
It's 40mm in the sweep of the wipers (10mm in the drivers line of vision). Depending on where your wipers reach I'd say it was a fail unfortunately.
CosKev3

posted on 23/3/16 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_830.htm
CosKev3

posted on 23/3/16 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
It's 40mm in the sweep of the wipers (10mm in the drivers line of vision). Depending on where your wipers reach I'd say it was a fail unfortunately.

The swept area is not the full swept area of wipers though,shows you in that link the swept area they should test.

benjo

posted on 23/3/16 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
As long as it isnt in your wiper sweep you should be ok . if it is start looking for smaller wipers some older cars had wipers on the head lights am pretty sure it will pass if you fitted those

quote from auto glass website

The windscreen is chipped or cracked. The maximum damage size is 10mm in the drivers’ line of vision (a vertical strip 290mm wide centred on the steering wheel), 40mm elsewhere in the rest of the area swept by the wiper blades.

nick205

posted on 23/3/16 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Not certain, but it sounds like a fail to me - might be worth asking the garage before submitting for the MoT. On our car insurance we have to pay a £70 excess per glass claim, but that may well be different for you and if you've already had it replaced.

Slimy38

posted on 23/3/16 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38

The swept area is not the full swept area of wipers though,shows you in that link the swept area they should test.

It is the full swept area, but to a lesser standard. From that link;

quote:

In the remainder of the swept area:

d. damage not contained within a 40mm diameter circle, or

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/3/16 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
hmm a hard one. It does encroach on the swept area, not sure by how much and I could reduce the wiper size if it is close to the limits. I think I'll also slap on a tax disk holder as that is going to cover the damage completely and then try my luck!

Thanks

[Edited on 23/3/16 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveWalker

posted on 23/3/16 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
It is an annoyingly tight regulation. I have damage which is in the swept area and within the 290mm stripe and I will have to change the windscreen before my next MOT. However, the damage is right at the bottom of the screen and so low that you cannot see anything except the bonnet through it. If you were short enough to be looking through it and past the end of the bonnet, you'd not be able to see it at all, as the instrument binnacle is higher than it! The only reason that it is in the swept area is that the wipers park below the visible edge of the screen.

[Edited on 23/3/16 by SteveWalker]

Slimy38

posted on 23/3/16 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
hmm a hard one. It does encroach on the swept area, not sure by how much and I could reduce the wiper size if it is close to the limits. I think I'll also slap on a tax disk holder as that is going to cover the damage completely and then try my luck!

Sadly the same article also refers to stickers within the same limits;

quote:

a Windscreen sticker or other obstruction encroaching more than 40mm

Which is certainly news to me as I distinctly remember my last tax disc was still within the swept area, I reckon it should have failed!!

gremlin1234

posted on 23/3/16 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The only reason that it is in the swept area is that the wipers park below the visible edge of the screen.
I think the swept area is while they are in use,
and the iva manual confirms wipers can park outside the swept area.
quote:
All front wipers must return automatically to a position of rest which is at or beyond the outer edge of the swept area

benchmark51

posted on 23/3/16 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
I would go to another MoT station and ask for an opinion. If they say it's ok, get them to do the MoT. If not ok, try a sticker on the inside, a bit of road dirt on the outside and take a chance. Get a pidgeon to crap on the crack? If all fails, get a new screen.
SteveWalker

posted on 23/3/16 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
The only reason that it is in the swept area is that the wipers park below the visible edge of the screen.
I think the swept area is while they are in use,
and the iva manual confirms wipers can park outside the swept area.
quote:
All front wipers must return automatically to a position of rest which is at or beyond the outer edge of the swept area

I didn't mean that they move further down when parking (they sweep to and from there on each sweep), but the only reason that the sweep goes so far is so that when parked at the lower edge of the sweep, they are below the visible edge of the windscreen - which means my crack is in the swept area, despite it being impossible for a driver to use that part of the screen to see anything anyway! That's what I mean about the regulation being too tight. A tester would agree that the crack was not in any way obscuring vision for a driver of any height, but the regulations don't allow such a sensible decision only a black and white rule.

obfripper

posted on 23/3/16 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
The information on the motuk website is out of date.
This special notice contains the current criteria, effectively anything that only obscures your view of the bonnet or the sky is disregarded as a fail and can be advised instead.
It does say in the special notice that the manual will be updated in due course, that hasn't happened as of yet.

Current and up to date testing manual, this is the manual link from my testing account, it doesn't require an account to view.

Dave

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/3/16 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the MOT link
alfas

posted on 1/4/16 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
is the car a kitcar / locost?

if yes --> flat screen --> relplacement would be cheap and easier than all the discussion here and the possible risk for a failed mot.
if no , than its a different matter

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.