Author: Subject: Recommend me an engine hoist
Damon Hill

posted on 18/12/04 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Recommend me an engine hoist

What's a good/sturdy make?

[Edited on 18/12/04 by Damon Hill]

wilkingj

posted on 18/12/04 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have the Machine Mart 1 ton Economy Folding one, cost about £175, 5 years ago. works fine for me.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 19/12/04 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
Ditto. Couple of foibles but structurally sound.
stevebubs

posted on 19/12/04 at 12:32 AM Reply With Quote
Should clarify that...

The plate the handle for moving it around on is OK but I have heard of it bending slightly.

On mine, the pin through the release valve that the handle twists has dropped off - easily replaced with an allen key just dropped through the hole.

dern

posted on 19/12/04 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
1 ton folding econ from m.mart for me too. I used it to remove a 2.9 v6 ford engine and type 9 gearbox from a tvr s3 and put it back in single-handedly and had no problems at all. I nearly bought the half tonne but the rating drops pretty quickly if you extend the arm out for more reach.

I also use it to lift my bike (fireblade) in order to remove the wheels and so on.

Mark

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 19/12/04 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dern
1 ton folding econ from m.mart for me too. I used it to remove a 2.9 v6 ford engine and type 9 gearbox from a tvr s3 and put it back in single-handedly.
Mark

I used mine to change Land Rover Engines (not the Alloy v8's) but the Cast Iron jobs.. It manages that OK, and is at Extreme lift and extension to get the engine over the wing. I have had 3 engine changes (different Landy's) and several gearboxes. You Cant lift a Landy Gearbox with the transfer box attached, it weighs more that a sierra engine and box together!.

I use it to move Land rover Axles, and I cant left even one end of a front axle off the ground by hand

Yup... Its had a bit of abuse over the last five years. Its not bad, will sort aout any lifting on a Locost in its sleep. Its should be able to lift the Whole Locost

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

MikeR

posted on 19/12/04 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
yep, i've got one, well, i own one. Mine lives at friends houses as they borrow it and i never remember to collect it )

One of the best purchases i've made.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.