Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: New Member Advice!
moosdad

posted on 2/5/16 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
New Member Advice!

Hi all

Just joined up as i am looking for a BEC preferably an MK Indy.
Just wanted to get peoples opinions, what to look for, avoid etc etc.

Im from the Wirral near Liverpool, have approx 7k to spend. I want the car as a weekend toy and will not see much mileage, so wont have to put up with driving one to work everyday!

I have come from a Lotus Elise, which was fairly nippy! but i see a BEC as the next step!

Here are a couple of examples of what im looking at off ebay if im allowed

MK INDY KIT CAR WTH R1 Engine

2004 MK INDY RR 954cc HONDA FIREBLADE POWERED KIT SEQUENTIAL GEARBOX ROAD LEGAL

Any opinions please dont hold back!

Thanks in advance
Dave

perksy

posted on 2/5/16 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome

Just wondering if you have been out in a bec before ?
If not it might be worth asking to see if there is an owner near to you that could take you out in theirs so that you can get a feel for a bec ?

You *might* decide they aren't for you or it might confirm that you are making the right choice ?

Whichever way you go a 7 type car will be a bit different than an Elise

Some of the bec lads will be along shortly to advise on the attributes of the various engines

moosdad

posted on 2/5/16 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi thanks for replying!
Yes a friend of mine had an Mk with a blackbird engine, it was f'in awesome!

I've always loved the Mk take on the design, and I'm too scared to get a bike... So hopefully meeting it in the middle!
Any advice is very welcome!
Dave

Matt21

posted on 3/5/16 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
My advice is, don't ask the wife if you can get one, just go and get it.
I made the mistake of asking, being told no, and then buying it anyway.... big mistake!

My MK has a cbr900 engine
Which I think is great, very tough, very cheap to replace (only had to replace it due to driver mistakes) and the cars pretty quick for 'only' 130bhp.
Weighs around 480kg

Its a pretty old engine now and I'd like to upgrade, but can't justify £1000+ for a different engine (mine cost £250-500).
I've owned it for 3 yrs now and I'm not bored of it at all, but would like to get more power.

Motorway driving is aweful.
My diff is a 3.92 ratio and at 70mph im at 8000rpm, which becomes pretty tedious! 50-60mph cruising is fine.

B roads.... amazing, that's all that needs to be said about that.

I haven't owned a kit with a car engine, but the bike engine is an amazing combination! the only car engine I would consider swapping too is the S2000

Instagram: @matt211988

Photobucket

My YouTube

rm0rgan

posted on 3/5/16 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Try both and make an informed choice...

I had a Furyblade and loved it - BEC's are the best fun on twisty A/B roads but can be a drag on a long M/way stint (so always go the back roads!)

I have a CEC MK now though and have to say I love the torque but miss the revs and sequential gearbox that you get as standard with a BEC - that's not to say a standard BEC doesn't have any torque, it just isn't as pronounced as a CEC.

To make my CEC perfect I'd want a sequential box but that costs the same as my left testicle

Sigs are uncool.

StevieB

posted on 3/5/16 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
As far as buying any kit goes, I'd concentrate more on the fit and finish of everything rather than the shiny bits you could add yourself later. Having a decent base car means the things that can't be easily undone if not your liking aren't a problem.

I've had a couple of Elise's (S1 and S2), and built an R1 Indy - all great cars but ivevalways said that my ideal car would have the performance of the Indy with the Elise's everything else. A project for the future when I'm feeling flush

moosdad

posted on 3/5/16 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone, so in regards to mk indy's I take it nobody knows if there is a certain year of chassis to avoid etc?

What did people think of the couple of examples in my original post? Would something like those not set off alarm bells on face value, I know I need to go and see some in the flesh, but what am I looking out for in particular, problem areas etc?

Have thanks for the advice so for...oh and my missus is ok with all this, she just doesn't want to hear me go on about it all the time!

Matt21

posted on 4/5/16 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
There are no problem areas a such.

The biggest problem is the person who has built it. You can get an idea of the quality of the build pretty quickly.
Obviously with an MK the chassis is prebuilt so shouldn't be any issues there. It's how it is all put together where there will be problems, but you will get a feel for that straight away.

The red one you linked too looks great, I'm trying to get my mate to buy it as it looks like a bargain! It's quite old, but still looks in great condition from the pics and has some tasty parts on it already which will save you money later on (wilwods, digidash, carbon bits). Go and see it, if its as decent as it looks, make an offer

Instagram: @matt211988

Photobucket

My YouTube

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.