Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which Kit to go for ???
Raj Virdee

posted on 15/10/02 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Which Kit to go for ???

HELP !!!

Inspired by that book by Ron Champion, I am interested in the Robin Hood 2B Kit car. Question is

a) is it any good ??
b) Value for Money ??
c) Ease of build
d) any modifications suggested

I would love to go for a six cylinder car - anybody got any advice on which one to go for ?

any advice much appreciated

Thanks

Raj
(there's novice and then there's Raj !)

Alan B

posted on 15/10/02 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Raj,

I'd expect a lot of abuse from this question
Many will say, "why buy a kit, make your own!' (although there are some kit-specific areas on here)

Seriously though have you considered building your own frame?.....it's MUCH more satisfying.

Good luck whatever you decide

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 15/10/02 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Raj
Have a look at some of the other players in the pre-built chassis market,it wont take much to pull you away from Robin Hood .

Go into the links section and have a look a luego and MK Engineering.
Once youve had a look at the above's finished articles you'll never think robin hood again.

Raj Virdee

posted on 15/10/02 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Blimey - that was quick !!!

I get your point, but like the reassurance that most of the bits are supplied, even if some of them are frankly c--p!

Building a chassis sounds like really skilled work - I can't solder some speaker leads, let alone anything on this scale!

Gratefull for comments

Regards

Raj

DEAN C.

posted on 20/10/02 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Raj,I would completely agree with Bob about the" hood".
Construction using an MK or Luego would be much easier and in my" own opinion" a better handling and designed car.
The best thing is to have a look at the competition and have a good think about it.
What looks cheap to start with is not forced to be the cheapest in the end.
I've almost finished my MK and I think the quality and design is excellent,and MK are amongst the friendliest lads you can get.
Dean...

Jasper

posted on 20/10/02 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking exactly the same as you. I like the look of the RH2B and loved the price, and still thought it might be beyond my abilities. Then I found this forum (God be praised) and was swiftly talked out of it.

Get to a kit car show if you can (next is Exeter) and see the difference in quality between RH and the likes of MK.

Don't discount building your own chassis. My technical skills are very limited, done a bit of basic car maintenance but that's about it (and I can't solder for shit!), but I taught myself to weld, and now have a chassis complete to the same point of a bought one (though not the same quality of welding I'm sure).

Buy the book and have a read b4 you decide.

And when you see a RH next to a 'book' chassis car - the RH looks like a shed on wheels...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.