Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil Pressure Gauge settings
chutley

posted on 10/6/16 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Oil Pressure Gauge settings

Just fitted a new SPA Oil Pressure / Oil Temperature gauge to my MK Indy ZZR1400. Anybody know what PSI I should set the low oil pressure warning at? Operating spec says 35-50 PSI at 4000 revs. It has about 20 PSI at Tickover.

Likewise standard operating temperature is 90 degrees C, what temperature should I set the high temperature warning?

40inches

posted on 10/6/16 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
I would say 10psi and 110 degrees as a starting point
chutley

posted on 12/6/16 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for response.

Two sides to this . 10PSI would stop the oil light coming on all the time, but I need the warning for when the engine is working hard and pressure drops, so it might prove a worthless gauge.

However,if I set the warning light at say 40 PSI, reflecting the danger is when the engine is working hard, then as soon as I start the engine I would have warning light on and it would not go out until I was working the car hard. I might get used to it and ignore it when it is most needed...

Anybody else have any suggestions - be good to hear what other do.

rodgling

posted on 12/6/16 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
I have two alarms, one at 15 psi which is always active, and another at 45 psi which is only active above 3k rpm (these are driven off the same sensor). Obviously this needs a bit more electronics to support it though.

I'm thinking of adding a third idiot light wired into a separate sensor for redundancy, but maybe that's overkill.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.