Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Manifold cost
Shooter63

posted on 13/6/16 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Manifold cost

What sort of prices are you guys paying for one off exhaust manifolds, mine is made from 90 degree bends and straight tubes taking 3 turns, I want a bigger bore one, I've just been quoted £750 !!! To me it's a days work on the tig at the most. It seems like a lot of money, even when you cost in the price of materials.

Shooter

mark chandler

posted on 13/6/16 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
£750 ...

It's maybe £150 in bends and straights, I have made a few now, if you have the flange less than a day so I would say £400 is near where it should be.

They cannot want the works so have jacked up the price, can you get something close and modify?

What engine, also what size tubes are you after, once you go over 38mm it becomes pointless going larger unless you have a really big capacity engine, look at bike pipes as an example 200bhp and still spindly looking things.

[Edited on 13/6/16 by mark chandler]

Shooter63

posted on 14/6/16 at 05:28 AM Reply With Quote
It's a 2.0 zetec, I already have a 4-1 that's been made in 38mm tube, I've been told that I need one in 48mm tube. The worst thing is, I had a TIG
welder and sold it due to lack of use and my MIG is broken and due to be scrapped .

Shooter

WallerZero

posted on 14/6/16 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
I had a look and was told they'd need to see the car but it would be £1200 minimum. V6 engine so basically wanted a 3-1 both sides and silencer. I even had the manifold plates. Told them what I wanted and they said no I'd want this. Told them if I'm going to be paying £1200 they will do it my way. In the end I walked away and have got what I wanted plus a cheap mig welder (was easier to tack and have someone do properly) all in for less than £300.

My plan though is one day, if I'm happy with the sound, is either take the manifolds off and get a proper job done tig and stainless or drive somewhere for a full system.

http://zachsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk/

phelpsa

posted on 14/6/16 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
We paid 500 for a stainless 4-2-1 for the locost. It was top notch quality.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hughpinder

posted on 14/6/16 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
hi shooter

From what I remember, as a rule of thumb, a 1.5" (38mm) pipe is good for about 75 bhp per cylinder, so 300bhp from a 4 cylinder engine.
1 7/8" pipe (49mm) is ok up to about 125bhp/cylinder = 500bhp!

Is the rest of he system restricting the power output, or are you actually going for >300 bhp from a zetec?
Unless the engine is already built up for this, it may end up cheaper to change the whole engine as zetecs get pretty unreliable (and expensive to build) at that level!

Regards
Hugh

mark chandler

posted on 14/6/16 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shooter63
It's a 2.0 zetec, I already have a 4-1 that's been made in 38mm tube, I've been told that I need one in 48mm tube. The worst thing is, I had a TIG
welder and sold it due to lack of use and my MIG is broken and due to be scrapped .

Shooter

It's already big enough unless you are after vast power, larger will cost you mid range torque

MakeEverything

posted on 14/6/16 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
quote:
Originally posted by Shooter63

Shooter

It's already big enough unless you are after vast power, larger will cost you mid range torque

There are calculations to work it all out, based on maximum required airflows.

Whoever tells you things like "Its too small / Large" etc, always check it out with a credible source; otherwise youll chase your tail.

Why not get the bends etc and hire a MIG from HSS for the weekend in order to mock up?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 14/6/16 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
I paid £450 for a stainless manifold for my striker 3 years ago made by exhausts by design was very happy with it .
matty h

posted on 14/6/16 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have had prices from £400-£1200.
Whats your location.
Matty

SJ

posted on 14/6/16 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
What's it for? I have a Westfield manifold on my Indy. They only list the full system on the website though which is £850 including a cat.
macc man

posted on 14/6/16 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a load of bends and straights and tacked them together in situ on my zetec. Took the manifold to a local exhaust maker and had it tig welded. A fine job for less than £100.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.