Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Sidepanels
Crazy Jay

posted on 28/12/04 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Sidepanels

Hello, fitting my side panels now and was wondering wat the spacing is between the rivnuts? And how exactly do u use them?? Cheers all
zetec

posted on 28/12/04 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Having used both methods sikoflex is a lot easier and unless you really need to remove the panel for anything the better method as the panel is sealed better.

If you do go rivnut route remember that the rear wings and scuttle and poss the nose cone all provide fixings. I did a few along the bottom chassis rail underside maybe every 500mm. If you use silicon to seal the panel (not sikoflex) then this helps the bond. Don't get too carried away as the panel needs to be able to move very slightly or it will stress crack.

Crazy Jay

posted on 28/12/04 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers zetec, think i will still use the rivnuts tho, as i hav them here
Great car btw
Still a bit confused about how they hold the panels on. Was checking out the usual (hellfire) but still dont know how they work. Any closeup pics wud be greatly appreciated

alister667

posted on 28/12/04 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't use rivnuts for the side panels, I'd used sikaflex and rivets. I did a wee 'how to use rivnuts' post for scoobyiscool (i think) a while back, if you do a search for it you should find it.
All the best
Ali

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 28/12/04 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Yep i'll third that......Sikaflex and rivets.

DEAN C.

posted on 28/12/04 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Can I fourth that please Bob?Sikaflex and countersunk rivets at the top, and normal rivets at the bottom.
Countersunk rivets at the top allow the bonnet to sit flush onto the top of the top rail.No protrusions.

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

Hellfire

posted on 28/12/04 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC we didn't use any rivets or rivnuts to hold the side panels on.

The sidepanels are extremely secure and allow for some expansion and contraction.

Hellfire

posted on 28/12/04 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
For the operation and securing of rivnuts try HERE

MAB

posted on 29/12/04 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
I agree, myself and a friend have used no rivets or rivnuts.

We just obtained some 1 part sealant adhesive from out local autobody shop in York.

The stuff we used is black in colour so doesn't stand out and is made by FSG - is called independent plus. Its a permenantly flexible all purpose polyurethane adhesive rapid curing - and is overpaintable if needed. Once its set (overnight job) it can be cut very neatly with a stanley knife.

The chap from the local body shop said they regularly use it for fixing metal panels to cars so will easily do the job for fibreglass.

Oh and btw - it was only £4 a tube!

Crazy Jay

posted on 29/12/04 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanx alot everyone!!
So do you use the rivnuts for the rollbar??

matt_claydon

posted on 29/12/04 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Jay
So do you use the rivnuts for the rollbar??

You may laugh, but it has been done - remember seeing a picture last year sometime

Hellfire

posted on 29/12/04 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Seen plenty attached with rivnuts. Even rolled ones where rollbar is still attached.

Crazy Jay

posted on 29/12/04 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
I can see how i'd attach 3 bolts but where the fourth bolt wud go id hav to drill thru a couple of inches of box section

JUst ordered my wheels, 17in OZ Superleggera in race silver. Geting them on the 10th of Jan (student loan comes in )
I hav Kumho V70A tyres to fit on them, apparenly they are good

DEAN C.

posted on 31/12/04 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have just looked back at this post and realised something,I was fitting ally side panels,hence the reason for using rivets,I know BOB and Hellfire used glass sides.
I also think using rivets on glass panels is probably only needed if the gaps are a bit on the large side and packers are needed.

Rivnuts,What the heck do you need these for on a side panel!Apart from fixing the scuttle onto of course and the light bar.

As for rollbar fixing,Please bolt them on or weld as I have done,Rivnuts are not a positive fixing,they can be ripped out,a bolt has to be snapped.I know lots of people are going to moan at me for saying this but I wouldn't be sat here if it wasn't for a fully welded cage and harnesses.
Better safe than sorry.
DEAN....

DEAN C.

posted on 31/12/04 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Jus looked at your archive Crazy jay,R1 engine fits really well ,should be nice when finished,and bloody quick of course!

Crazy Jay

posted on 31/12/04 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Dean, thanx! I would hav had it finished by August if it wasnt for the guy delivering my kit. I asked when orderin the kit for every part i need to complete it. Got the kit in may i think, and still havnt got my bonnet, fuel tank and loads more
Gettin there now tho.

How do u fit 4 bolts thru the rollbar mounting plates?? If standing at the back of the indy lookin down it wud be the X

X O

O O

Cheers

(BTW these are my wheels )

[Edited on 31/12/04 by Crazy Jay]

zetec

posted on 1/1/05 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Did you get a good deal on the wheels as I would like to get a set, I'm looking for 15" if anyone has a set sitting around in need of a home!

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

bob

posted on 1/1/05 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DEAN C.
I have just looked back at this post and realised something,I was fitting ally side panels,hence the reason for using rivets,I know BOB and Hellfire used glass sides.
I also think using rivets on glass panels is probably only needed if the gaps are a bit on the large side and packers are needed.

DEAN....

Yes your right Dean i did use packers inbetween the bottom rails ans the glass lip,3/16 gap so something had to go in there. I did bond as well with a Dunlop adhesive (black sticky stuff like sikaflex) which was used by Aston Martin (name dropping ) among others and very long rivets

Crazy Jay

posted on 3/1/05 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Zetec for the 17's with no tyres they cost £550 from a place in Magherafelt, ireland. Go to This
Doesnt give prices but u can call him

Im also buying a set of Toora T190's for my beemer, 18" will yoko tyres for £800

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.