Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ive been making supercharger parts
Gaz 1977

posted on 28/9/16 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Ive been making supercharger parts

Hi all

It's been a while since i have been on here. I thought i would post some pics up of what i have been up to.

Basically i have designed a supercharger kit for the Mx5 and putting it into production. We have Called ourselves SALON MOTORSPORT, playing on the whole hairdresser thing!

I thought it might be of interest.....

Gaz

Gaz 1977

posted on 28/9/16 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
So The parts are for the Eaton M45 Charger

I have had the inlets and outlets Cast in aluminum and the Bracket and tensioner are in brushed Stainless.

I have just set up the Facebook page that has a load of other images if anyone wants a look.

https://www.facebook.com/salonmotorsport/

Thanks

Gaz

Slimy38

posted on 28/9/16 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm, looks interesting, nice alternative approach on the fabrication. Is casting cost effective compared to other approaches?

What's the magic numbers then? BHP, lbft, GBP?

Gaz 1977

posted on 28/9/16 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't Say that its a cheaper approach, but what it does allow you to make a better flowing internal shape.

As far as the magic numbers are concerned we tend not to give bhp figures as everyone's build is to a different spec. I'm hoping the first cars (other then mine) will be finished very soon and that the owners will be posting their results on different forums as well as our facebook page.

My car is basically as simple as a charger set up can be, so towards the lower end of the bhp scale but its still 50bhp up on standard at 4,750 rpm.
You can guess the top end.

Price wise I dont think I am allowed to sell stuff on here. (i might be wrong) but its all on ebay. under Salon Motorsport.

Sorry for being cryptic

Gaz

snapper

posted on 28/9/16 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
From a buyers point of view at least some examples or ball park figures would give an understanding of how much you get for your money.
A bigger market could be developed with other engine applications.
For me Duratec was the next step but having just purchased a Fisher Fury in need of much love a supercharged Zetec would fit easily, now thinking your MX5 solution could be an option

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

rachaeljf

posted on 28/9/16 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice, and I guess makes the car sound like a hairdryer too!
Gaz 1977

posted on 29/9/16 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
Its more like a leaf blower...
pekwah1

posted on 29/9/16 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
is there a reason the top pipe connector bit doesn't have a flange or whatever we call it like the large outlets?
Also looks like it's slightly tapered, is that not asking for the hose to pop off?

Gaz 1977

posted on 29/9/16 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Nope,

Its tapered because it has to come out of a mold.

When the bypass valve is closed (when you have any throttle on) it is under a very slight Vacuum a bit like blowing hard over a bottle as its open to the air filter. When the bypass valve is open its a closed loop (the air being blown in is also being sucked out) so its neutral And its still open to the Air filter.

I think that makes sense..

Thanks

Gaz.

pewe

posted on 29/9/16 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Gaz, looks very nice.
What cost -PM me please.
Just a thought - on my cross-over pipe I've wrapped it in exhaust wrap to give it a bit of insulation from a) the rad top tube and b) any hot air coming up from the back of the rad.
I appreciate it's probably not hugely effective given yours and mine are both hot side s/c's without i/c but I like to think every little helps.
On the i/c subject if you're thinking of over-the-top i/c pipework have a look at fleabay VXR cross-over pipes - nice and flat and because they're dumped by quite a few VXR owners in favour of a more direct route relatively cheap (see my June post & thanks Slimy38 for the info). A bit of cut and shut plus a few quid to my local welder and they look like they'll do the job.....
Cheers, Pewe10

Gaz 1977

posted on 30/9/16 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
We wanted to keep the red car as simple as possible with no intercooler. We went of a cold feed to the airbox to try and keep the temps down. We ran the charger up on the car without the front pipework attached. We bodged the Maf to the throttle body so we could run it with the supercharger spinning but not charging the car. There was such a volume of air going through i'm not sure it would get much chance to get hot. I know its not a replacement for a intercooler but a cold feed must help. We will be fitting an intercooler to the track car as temps will be more of an issue on circuit. The last Trackday we did we covered 360miles at between 5500 and 7500 revs.

We are planning to have a hard front pipe built by PRO ALLOY so we should be able to gain a little more clearance over the top hose.

Find SALON MOTORSPORT on Facebook if you want to see more images of our stuff or have a look at the BC cars motorsport site to see some of the parts I make for the BRSCC championship. If anyone needs there car setup for race or road I highly recommend Brian Chandler. He is the current MX5 champion and a helpful chap.

www.bccarsmotorsport.co.uk

Ta.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.