Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Lower wishbone- Urgent
Banana

posted on 11/10/16 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
MK Lower wishbone- Urgent

Im after a bottom front wishbone for an MK indy.

Seeing as MK don't seem to want customers, where am i supposed to get one?!

thanks

CosKev3

posted on 11/10/16 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Could try the Scottish Kit Car centre,as they use MK chassis's for the Raptors they sell
Banana

posted on 11/10/16 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
will do. ta.
Banana

posted on 12/10/16 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Typical. They are just about to close down for 1 1/2 weeks..

Nobody have a 2nd hand one kicking about..?

Is it safe to get my original straightened do we think?

Images here..
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=205898&page=2

nick205

posted on 12/10/16 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
I'd not be comfortable with straightening it - it may well be weakened.

Can we ask how it got bent?

Banana

posted on 12/10/16 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
No idea. Ive only just got the car. Noticed it whilst i was pulling it to bits.

Spoke to Scottish Kit car - they dont have the outboard suspension wishbones.. Mk not answering the phone..

I would have thought the welds would give way before the tube, even if it had been pressed straight slightly..

Not ideal, but not sure what else i can do.

Unless someone has a spare?

sdh2903

posted on 12/10/16 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Try contacting procomp or MNR to see if they will make you one. Or MAC1 as I recall their chassis being very similar to the MK
AJC

posted on 12/10/16 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
The bend doesn't look to bad. The tube should bend back quite easily if you can get it in a vice.
rusty nuts

posted on 12/10/16 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJC

The bend doesn't look to bad. The tube should bend back quite easily if you can get it in a vice.

Asking for trouble!

Banana

posted on 12/10/16 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone made up some bracing/strengthening plates to go under their wishbones?
CosKev3

posted on 13/10/16 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
I do seem to remember early MK's having quite a few lower front wishbone issues,sure I've read about them on here.

I've got my original Mac1 wishbones in my garage loft,they are made from oval tube though not round.If you put up sizes of yours on here I'll have a check if you want?

Banana

posted on 13/10/16 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Yes ive read about MK wishbones being weak - so i was thinking of making some 3/4mm bracing plates to go underneath and reinforce the welded bosses.
Would have thought some others had done this..?

Thanks for the offer, will measure mine up when i get a chance. Mine are oval tube btw.

sdh2903

posted on 13/10/16 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
As you say There are quite a few reports of the early bones breaking. And in your thread shows they are rusty and now you've found a bend. Rather than patching up and repairing would it not be a wise decision over the winter to just replace the set with the added strengthening?

The consequences of a bone breaking whilst out on a blat could be nasty, really nasty. I'd remove and replace do it properly. Just my 2 penneth for what it's worth.

Banana

posted on 13/10/16 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Yes im making enquirers to get some made up. As it doesn't seem you can get these off the shelf anymore.

But even on my new set, im going to look at adding some bracing.

40inches

posted on 13/10/16 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Would these fit? Rally Design
Banana

posted on 13/10/16 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Good find!

Ive requested the drawing to compare..

Banana

posted on 13/10/16 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Had a word with a local engineering/restoration company, in regards to strengthening the wishbones.

They proposed something along the lines of some 5 x 15mm bar welded sideways (on the 5mm face) along the underside of each wishbone arm and halfway around the round bush tubes..
With some additional filleting in the center.

Id like to experiment with these wishbones, and implement the final design on my new ones.

Seems reasonable? Any thoughts or other ideas?

Banana

posted on 13/10/16 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Checked the rally design ones, but they are a cm or so to small in all dimensions..
CosKev3

posted on 14/10/16 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
IIRC the issue is with the shock absorber mounting being too far inboard on the bone,so ideally this needs moving outwards so it's nearer the ball joint.

I think what you suggest above will help,but there are thousands of kit cars on the road that have no issues with the wishbone strength,but with the shock mounted too far inboard you put more pressure on the length of tube between shock mount and balljoint.

Banana

posted on 14/10/16 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
I thought the weak point was the welds holding the bush tubing on. As seen when the crush tubes seizes and can't turn.

Interesting what you say about the shock mounts, as protech seemed to think the angle was already a long way from upright, and possibly effecting the effectiveness of the shock.

In my head, the shock mounted further out would increase the leverage and therefore the chance of bending the wishbone..

Would love to know if others have done any modifications in this area.

[Edited on 14/10/16 by Banana]

CosKev3

posted on 14/10/16 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
The bush tube only fails if the bushes are seized,no point strengthening the wishbone there,just keep the bushes healthy!

You want the shock to be mounted as close as possible to the ball joint, so the forces are not working against each other along that stretch of wishbone between shock mount and balljoint.

The angle of the shock is probably far from ideal,but what other choice have we got?

Hence why a lot of newer chassis's are now push rod set up with the shock absorber in board.

[Edited on 14/10/16 by CosKev3]

Banana

posted on 14/10/16 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Yep i see what you mean. Thanks for the input.
sdh2903

posted on 14/10/16 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Just remember as well you don't want to make the wishbone mega strong, in the case of a bump with a kerb or armco you want the wishbone to deform to protect the chassis. Just strengthen around the shock/balljoint mounting.

[Edited on 14/10/16 by sdh2903]

ReMan

posted on 14/10/16 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Banana
I thought the weak point was the welds holding the bush tubing on. As seen when the crush tubes seizes and can't turn.

Interesting what you say about the shock mounts, as protech seemed to think the angle was already a long way from upright, and possibly effecting the effectiveness of the shock.

In my head, the shock mounted further out would increase the leverage and therefore the chance of bending the wishbone..

Would love to know if others have done any modifications in this area.

[Edited on 14/10/16 by Banana]
The issue will also occur if the crush tubes are too short, and the bracket is clamping the bushes, which you are obviously addressing

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

procomp

posted on 14/10/16 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hi.

As already suggested there is a design flaw with the basic design. Damper mounting being far to inboard from outer causing high loading on the arms.
The other issue is even with the damper in that position it is at far to much of an angle also to be effective in control of the movements. IE 1" / 25mm of wheel movement = something like only 5/8" / 16mm of damper rod movement very very poor ratio.
I have in the past made new wishbones for a few MK owners with extension beams to move the damper out and give far better control similar to the wide track conversions i make for Westfields.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.