Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Smart TV set up
AndyW

posted on 20/12/16 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Smart TV set up

Hi all,

Just wondered if the collective could help me out here. I have a new Sony Bravia TV, it has 2 HDMI sockets (1 arc, 1 normal). I want to set it up so I can run my Virgin media, Sony Soundbar and Blu-ray player.

The problem that I have is 2 hdmi sockets and I need 3 inputs. Is there a splitter or adaptor I can use to have 3 inputs that the tv will recognise?

All this new smart tv stuff is a bit too tech for my simple brain and I'm struggling to get it set up and all working.

Any help appreciated.

TIA

Andy

hearbear

posted on 21/12/16 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
Is the sound bar not connected by an optical cable on yours mine was? That means you would only need the 2 HDMI connectors for the virgin and blue ray

3.9Ltr SSC Stylus should be fun

bi22le

posted on 21/12/16 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
Depending on the abilities of your blu ray player or sound bar I would consider using them as the hub.

For example, run your virgin box and blu ray player into your soundbar and then run that into your tv. I found it hard to get arc running between my lg tv and my pioneer soundbar. TBH I have been quite disappointed with the whole smart tv and equipment integration thing. I want one remote to control all systems. Not one remote per device.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

benchmark51

posted on 21/12/16 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
Know what you mean! Had my samsung smart and blue ray for 2 years now and still don't understand it. What you need is a teenager, they know everything techy with tele's, phones ect.
MikeRJ

posted on 21/12/16 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
3 way HDMI switches are available quite cheaply (bewteen £5-£10) from Amazon or Ebay etc. which will automatically switch the active input to the single output on the box which is then plugged into the TV.

You'd need to plug the Virgin box and Blu Ray player into the switch, and the soundbar directly into the spare socket on the TV as you wouldn't want that to be switched.

nick205

posted on 21/12/16 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benchmark51
What you need is a teenager, they know everything techy with tele's, phones ect.

LOL - "Ask a teenager while they still no it all"

At 42 I must sadly admit that technology has overtaken my ability (or desire). I recall having to program the video recorder for my parents, because they couldn't fathom it out.

Slimy38

posted on 21/12/16 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
3 way HDMI switches are available quite cheaply (bewteen £5-£10) from Amazon or Ebay etc. which will automatically switch the active input to the single output on the box which is then plugged into the TV.

You'd need to plug the Virgin box and Blu Ray player into the switch, and the soundbar directly into the spare socket on the TV as you wouldn't want that to be switched.

This is the one I bought;

5-Port 1080P HDMI Switch Switcher Selector Splitter + IR Remote For HDTV PS3 DVD

It works just fine, but you need to check the internet to find out which ports to use for which device. Some devices don't actually power down their HDMI socket so you need to have them as a 'lower' priority compared to those that do so they switch correctly.

AndyW

posted on 21/12/16 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, that helps!

Just on a side note, I purchased an LG first and although it was a great TV (ultra HD 4 k thing), LG arc does not work with many other systems. As my soundbar is Sony, the LG tv would not work through it unless I used optical and then I had 4 separate remotes which was crazy. So I took the LG back and changed it for a Sony.

If I have any other probs, Im sure you will hear.

Thanks again and hope you all have a merry Christmas

Andy

johnemms

posted on 21/12/16 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Why not just run everything into an TOSlink 3 way ...
Digital Audio Optical Fiber Cable Adapter TOSlink 3-Way Selector Splitter FJUK

or this..
3 Port HDMI Splitter Hub Box Auto Switcher 3 In 1 Out 3D 1080p HD 1.4 AdapterUK

[Edited on 21/12/16 by johnemms]

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

Ben_Copeland

posted on 21/12/16 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a good excuse to go buy an expensive amp.

I run all mine through a Denon surround amp via hdmi and other digital inputs then one straight to tv. Much easier

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

02GF74

posted on 21/12/16 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

At 42 I must sadly admit that technology has overtaken my ability (or desire). I recall having to program the video recorder for my parents, because they couldn't fathom it out.

A video recorder, thats luxury.

We were so poor I had to watch the programs in black and white and summarise the program in a notebook cartoon strip style.

slingshot2000

posted on 21/12/16 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
What's a TV ?
David Jenkins

posted on 21/12/16 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
We were so poor I had to watch the programs in black and white and summarise the program in a notebook cartoon strip style.

A notebook - eee, you were lucky!

benchmark51

posted on 21/12/16 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slingshot2000
What's a TV ?

It's one of them funny girls with with 5 o'clock shadow innit?

nick205

posted on 22/12/16 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

A video recorder, thats luxury.

Let's just put this in perspective shall we...

We had a 14" TV where you had to manually tune into BBC1, BBC2 or ITV (Channel 4 hadn't started).

It was a Betamax top loading video given to my Dad by one his suppliers as a reward for selling enough of the suppliers kit that year.

We had 1 blank video cassette.

We never joined the local video club as it cost something like £70/year to be a member.

My middle sister recorded Dirty Dancing on the 1 blank video cassette and broke the lugs off to prevent it being recorded over.

IIRC TV was as pants then as it is now, the differences were fewer channels and no internet access on TVs.

My parents now have a PVR box and have even less knowledge on how to use it (or even what it does).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.