Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto cam belt change
ditchlewis

posted on 19/2/17 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto cam belt change

I have read somewhere that the best way to change the cam belt is to cut the existing belt down the centre removing half and then slip the new belt on before cutting the remains of the old one off.

Is this the case?

The process I suppose is to put the car in gear, remove the aux belt and pully on the crank. Take it out or gear and crank the engine over by hand and use a sharp knife to cut the belt. Then remove half slip the new belt on and cut the remaining piece of old belt.

I then push the new belt home and replace the aux belt. Before running I need to check the timing marks to ensure no slip up occurred.

Having sold the car to my son I don't want to ruin it for him.

Regards
Ditch

ReMan

posted on 20/2/17 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
A way, not the best way I suspect.

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

ditchlewis

posted on 20/2/17 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
prob not the best way I agree, but the cam is fitted with at vernier / adjustable pulley and I hav as yet to find top dead centre markings on it.

If I use the markings on the cam it could be advanced ahead of the crank if you get my drift and I'm nervous about getting it horribly wrong.

is there a way or tool to lock the cam pulley and prevent it moving?

regards

Ditch

Andy D

posted on 20/2/17 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a similar set up. I just set the engine to tdc on the crank timing marks, marked the cam and auxiliary pulleys "12 o clock" positions, swap belts and check marks. You'd soon see if anything's one tooth out, as one tooth is quite a lot in degrees.
mcerd1

posted on 20/2/17 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't risk it, besides the chances of you getting the new belt on without releasing the tensioner aren't good

quote:
Originally posted by ditchlewis
the cam is fitted with at vernier / adjustable pulley and I hav as yet to find top dead centre markings on it.

you can add a rough marking yourself - but ultimately there is no point in having the adjustable pulley if you don't adjust it properly....

the marks on the crank pulley are no were near accurate enough anyway (they are only really good enough for stock cams with stock pulleys)

get yourself a timing wheel and a dial gauge and make up a piston stop (hollow out an old spark plug and put some threaded rod through it)

then you can confirm the true position of TDC

then if your happy with the way it running now take the rocker cover off and check your existing cam timing (e.g. timing of full lift on #1 inlet valve or similar) - that way you know what to set it to with the new belt to get the same results

-

johnemms

posted on 20/2/17 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Changed Toyota recently..
Put white paint on belt and tooth..
Took off belt - copy marks to new belt..
Match new belt to tooth marks..
Worked for me

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

ditchlewis

posted on 20/2/17 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
The engine was bought direct from vulcan engineering with the vernier set up correctly for the fast road cam that is in it.

I laid the car up during the recesion and since the wife won't get in it I put it up for sale. My son has bought the car and as it has been laid up I am changing the cam belt for him. There has been lots of good advice. So I will think hard about it. Still don't know his plans for the car as he is in the army and has nowhere to store it other than my garage.

Thanks chaps.

Ditch

Matt159888

posted on 20/2/17 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Mate not a good way as while your in there you need to check adjusters or pulleys etc. It's a quick way and does work. The easy way for you is tippex. Mark teeth and put a dam to align them up you have timing marks now ;-)
Matt159888

posted on 20/2/17 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Put a dab that was lol not dam

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.