Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering rack position
b14wrc

posted on 26/3/17 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Steering rack position

Hi all,

Finally got around to trialling my new steering rack and radiator positions on Friday. Looks like it should all fit.

Rob

20vt powered rear engined locost

Hornet

posted on 26/3/17 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi bud

Sorry if you have different plans from normal.... the steering rack is not where I would have expected, it way too far forward. Normally it is between your two front uprights. If I am mistaken then just ignore this

Gre3D

posted on 26/3/17 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
looks about right, mine is somewhere near that placement too. nice looking bracket!

----------------------------
running a duratec ST engine'd locost for belgian slalom championship

wylliezx9r

posted on 26/3/17 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hornet
Hi bud

Sorry if you have different plans from normal.... the steering rack is not where I would have expected, it way too far forward. Normally it is between your two front uprights. If I am mistaken then just ignore this

I think it's dependent on what uprights are being used. Some have the rack connecting at the front and others at the rear.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

Hornet

posted on 26/3/17 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Ok cheers for that. Must mean really long steering arms and extensions on steering rack. Any chance of a photo Gre3d as I have never seen this before? Cheers
b14wrc

posted on 27/3/17 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Hornet, my plans are not per book specifications. LOL. I'm building a midi, my motor is in the rear. Been working on the rear of the car for a while now revising the suspension. I'm now happy with that and have started looking at the front. Originally I had the rack mounting behind the first tube, but as the rear tack has widened over the past few years - about 100mm (ish) I now need to lengthen the wheel base, to retain the 1.6 ratio. so the rack has gone forward on that lower section which will be braced to the top, I have used some ideas from the Midlana (thanks Kurt), Ideally I would have mounted the rack flat, but that would have meant the splined shaft would have been pointing down, so I bought a ready made bracket to mount it in the usual locost position. I do have some quite long steering arm extenders which match my front track.

I am planning to redo both upper and lower wish bones which will incorporate the Elise S2/VX220 anti roll bar and push rod actuated inboard suspension. The lower wish bone will come off perpendicular to the chassis, measuring the rack position, the rack knuckle of the steering arms is in line with the upper and lower pick up points if you drew a line through them, so I am hoping this set up eliminates bump steer.

I should have enough room for the bottom radiator hose to bend 90 degrees to clear the rack mount and then will return to the rear of the car through the small tunnel in the centre of the car. I am looking at using a swirl pot which will be mounted just behind the steering rack, need to leave space for the battery and fuel tank in the passenger side in front of a steel foot well.

Rob

minitici

posted on 27/3/17 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Best to mock-up the position and connect up to the hubs to check for bump steer.

Then finally fabricate the mounts (always best to allow a bit of adjustment for fine tuning of bump steer).

b14wrc

posted on 27/3/17 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hey,

This will be the second set up on the front. The first wishbones I made put the rack too close to the front frame rails. I'll dig a photo out. But yes, it will all be adjustable, camber, caster and toe. So should be fine. The rack will be adjustable on the mount, it has slots to move up and down and it can also be shimmed.

Rob

b14wrc

posted on 27/3/17 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/b14wrc/media/Mobile%20Uploads/A26D3949-66B2-4050-8631-1716B04FDB90.jpg.html

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.