Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto wiring help
Benzine

posted on 6/1/05 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Pinto wiring help

I'm using the Vicky Green pinto loom and I'm a bit stuck on the starter motor/solanoid/dizzy. Basically i don't know which wires go to which terminals as the wiring diagram is disconcertingly vague which isn't a great help to a n00b like me I would like to know where the +ve battery lead goes, the -ve batter lead and the thick brown wire.

Also a strange adapter is on the loom which won't fit it any way to the starter which it says it should, could this be for a later ignition system? (i'm using the simple motorcraft amplifier)

And the dizzy has 3 parts to connect to yet nothing on the loom matches this, how can i mate them together? Take of the connector and match the wires up straight?

Here's a picture of the solanoid (sp?) and dizzy connection (blurred)

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 6/1/05 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Benzine,

Can't help you with the starter but I've messed with the dizzy a bit.

Which carbs are you using? You realise that that dizzy has no vacuum advance? That's the dizzy from a EFI or stepper motor carb Sierra I believe.

If you want vacuum advance then you need a 2 pin dizzy from a 1.6 or 2.0 Sierra with carbs.

HTH,
James

[Edited on 6/1/05 by James]

Benzine

posted on 6/1/05 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi James, I'm using twin 45's. I had thought about the dizzy being a problem but i don't know the difference between non vac and vac. The only pintos at the scrappies have 3 pin also but in a different arrangement (more round that straight line)

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jimbo

posted on 17/1/05 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
With the starter, there are 2 large terminals, one of the terminals has a wire connected to it that goes into the body of the starter motor, you connect the main power lead to the other one.

When you activate the key, a feed is sent down the small wire, this activates an electric magnet inside the solenode, which then jumps the 2 large terminals inside, putting power into the starter to spin it, it also at the same time throws out the small gear to mesh with your flywheel starter ring. When you release the key from "start" position, the electro magnet springs off contact with the large terminals, and disengages the gear.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.