Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Bolts
donut

posted on 17/10/02 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Bolts

Is it better to purchase bolts that have the thread going the whole length of the bolt or as some others that have only half the thread going up the bolt?

I am refering to the bolts in the Screwfix catalogue.

Cheers

Andy

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locodude

posted on 17/10/02 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
It depends what you're using them for. Strictly speaking a bolt that has the thread going all the way up to the head isn't a bolt it's a set screw! For critical items like suspension etc. I would recommend that you use a bolt of the correct lenth, i.e. not a set screw!

donut

posted on 17/10/02 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers peeps. I had better have another look at the Screwfix bible!

Andy

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 17/10/02 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob
Andy
It all depends on what you are using them for,if you have a think about it i'm sure you'll make the right choice.

M12x70 bolts for the wishbones are threaded on ends and not shaft cos sleeve on bush rotates with suspension movement.

Bob, are you sure? I thought the inner sleeve should be clamped between the lugs, not be free.
I agree about the bolt though, just threaded a bit on the end.

bob

posted on 17/10/02 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Yep,your right alan.
I just worded it all like les dawson played piano,i think andy has the idea now though.

Alan B

posted on 17/10/02 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
No problem Bob.

Just checking I hadn't lost it completely
Close, but not completely

donut

posted on 17/10/02 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to use M12x70 bolts for the wishbones and M12x50 bolts for the Shocks as advised by someone else a few weeks ago on this board.

Does this sound ok as this is probably the most important bit? I won't be using the set screws!

Andy

p.s. Thanks for the help chaps

Andy

bob

posted on 17/10/02 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Andy
thats exactly what i used,probably me that said.
You will probably need a few M12 washers to use as spacers on shockers bolts.

donut

posted on 18/10/02 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Bob

Yes it probably was you!!!

I have put down for a thousand asorted washers so i should be ok. M12's are on the list.

You can never have enough washers! All i need is my bloody car to fit them on !

Andy

Andy

andybuff

posted on 18/10/02 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
to work out the threaded part of a bolt multiply the diameter by 2.5 . you should have at least 3 full threads exposed from the end of your nuts!! . I sellnuts & bolts for a living so if you need any e mail me, better quality and prices than screwfix.
Always use at least 8.8 grade

donut

posted on 18/10/02 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
To: Andy Buff

Email sent

Thanks

Andy

[Edited on 18/10/02 by donut]

Andy

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.