Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike Engine in a Book Chassis
mattpilmoor

posted on 7/1/05 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Bike Engine in a Book Chassis

Will I have to modify the book chassis to fit a CBR1000 or fireblade engine, or will it just slot in inside a frame? I've not got a donor yet but am about half way through the chassis and am thinking of sacking off my original pinto idea for a bike engine but know fork all about them!

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Matt

locoboy

posted on 7/1/05 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Hi there,

Join the club! I know nowt about bike engines but i have a few mates who will provide technical know how for a few beers.

I have a CBR1000 engine to go into my book chassis, i believe it will fit but you will need to make a cradle or a suitable 3 point mouting arangement for it.

Go with the bike engined route im sure it wont dissapoint you

ATB
Locoboy

mattpilmoor

posted on 7/1/05 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers,
Yeh i'm going to go with the CBR1000 too I think. Any idea where I can get one with all the bits required? Do any of the kit manufacturers do just engine kits?
Matt

locoboy

posted on 7/1/05 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
I dont know of any kit manufacturers that do engine kits, but have a look at this

Well respected member of this forum who seems to get his paws on plenty of reputable bike engines too. I dont think you will hear a bad word said about his engine supplying abilities on here.

EDIT:
As it happens i have just checked out the 'Stock' section on his webby and he has a 26K miles CBR1000 for £550,

get yer cash out!

[Edited on 7/1/05 by colmaccoll]

ATB
Locoboy

mattpilmoor

posted on 7/1/05 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Will that come with everything i need? Where do you get the stuff to transfer drive from the sproket to the prop shaft? I'll have a trrawl through the forum to find out a bit more before i get my cash out i think! But i'll give him a ring anyway
Cheers

locoboy

posted on 7/1/05 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
On his website it says that they can source other items aswell and im pretty sure they will be able to get you a sprocket adapter for the CBR engine to fit a ford propshaft. I bought mine from a guy on the Yahoo forum for about £40 i think.

The engine should be supplied with everything you need to make it run. Wiring, Colis, CDI box etc, you will need to find your own radiator, prop adapter, and engine cradle (possibly available from your kit supplier) in order to install it in your car.

ATB
Locoboy

mattpilmoor

posted on 7/1/05 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Col,
I'm building up the chassis from scratch. I'm almost there, just tacking in the last tubes. I was mainly concerned that when the engine arrived it wouldn't fit! I think i'll give that guy a ring and have a chat to him about the CBR engine. What's the deal with connecting up the clutch?

I should get on with some work really
Matt

James

posted on 7/1/05 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mattpilmoor
What's the deal with connecting up the clutch?

Do you mean how do you connect it to the gearbox?

You keep the bike gearbox! This is connected to a regular propshaft.

HTH,
James

mattpilmoor

posted on 8/1/05 at 05:55 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers James,
Just a moment of madness! Comes with getting up too early
Regards
Matt

flyingkiwi

posted on 8/1/05 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
you might want to look into modifying the oil sump. No expert but remember reading something recently about the sump as you are mounting the engine sideway's to what is designed for.
something like that

chris

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

mattpilmoor

posted on 8/1/05 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers,

Yeh i think the sump is chopped to increase ground clearance and a baffle inserted to minimise oil surge.

Does anyone know if tubes G1 and G2 need to be modified to get the engine in? Also is tube R in the way?

All help appreciated

Thanks

Matt

Jon Ison

posted on 8/1/05 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
have you started your chassis yet ?

if not build your chassis with no bars in engine bay till you trial fit the engine, you will then be able to put the bars you mention in a more sutable position for both engine fit and chassis stiffness...

mattpilmoor

posted on 8/1/05 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
The chassis is tacked up minus the engine bay bars. So I think i'll take your advice and leave them out until i get sorted with an engine. Plenty to do until then!

Cheers

Matt

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.