Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is there a route planner website or software that lets you adjust average speeds
bigbravedave

posted on 15/6/17 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Is there a route planner website or software that lets you adjust average speeds

As per the title really, Is there a route planner website or software that lets you adjust average speeds to calculate journey times. I'm sure you used to be able to do this on one of the route finder/planner websites where you could change average speeds for motorways and local roads, purely asking for driving trucks limited to 55mph, honest!
nick205

posted on 15/6/17 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting question.

Just checked my CoPilot sat nav and it lets you select shortest route, avoid motorway route etc, but I couldn't find an average speed adjustment on it. It certainly knows speed limits and "safety camera" locations. It would seem desirable to me to be able to alter the average speed. Many drive on or over the speed limit, but there are those that take more time with a journey - towing, fully loaded etc.

loggyboy

posted on 15/6/17 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Distance/Time = Speed
Distance/Speed = Time
Speed x Time = Distance

[Edited on 15-6-17 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

Dick

posted on 15/6/17 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Im sure* Tyre to travel * allows this
gremlin1234

posted on 15/6/17 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
there are some truck orientated gps/map programs
some allow you to configure weight, hight width etc to.
a very quick search found this artical
http://thegadgetpill.com/3-of-the-best-truck-navigation-apps-for-android-smartphones/

02GF74

posted on 15/6/17 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Distance/Time = Speed
Distance/Speed = Time
Speed x Time = Distance
]

Ok mr clever trouswers, work out total time for these 3 journeys.

1. 25 miles on a roads, 3 miles in town and 45 motorway miles. Journey in car where max speed limit is 60, 30 and 70 respectively.
2. As above but towing trailer, limits are 50, 30 and 55.
3. Brighton seafront to birmingham sealife centre.

Third one is not so easy as you dont know distance at each speed limit hence cannot apply your sophisticated formulae , which i think is what the op was looking for.

Mash

posted on 15/6/17 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Distance/Time = Speed
Distance/Speed = Time
Speed x Time = Distance
]

1. 25 miles on a roads, 3 miles in town and 45 motorway miles. Journey in car where max speed limit is 60, 30 and 70 respectively.

Third one is not so easy as you dont know distance at each speed limit hence cannot apply your sophisticated formulae , which i think is what the op was looking for.

Actually, I think you'll find the limit for towing on a motorway is 60, just saying

ReMan

posted on 15/6/17 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
What you describe is or was a TOM-TOM feature

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

hearbear

posted on 15/6/17 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Distance/Time = Speed
Distance/Speed = Time
Speed x Time = Distance
]

That's easy hours because there is going to be a minor bump and the roads will be closed for hours for investigation.

3.9Ltr SSC Stylus should be fun

ste

posted on 16/6/17 at 05:13 AM Reply With Quote
https://www.routino.org/uk/router.html

I had a little play and it seems a bit crap.

Youre best off installing Waze on your phone as this adjusts to your driving speeds and more importantly, adjusts to the road traffic conditions to give you a more accurate ETA.

I use it when towing and on a 3 hour drive with the caravan, was only out by 4 minutes, and that was constantly adjusting to the traffic and even re-routing me when the original route got busier.

HowardB

posted on 16/6/17 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ste
https://www.routino.org/uk/router.html

I had a little play and it seems a bit crap.

Youre best off installing Waze on your phone as this adjusts to your driving speeds and more importantly, adjusts to the road traffic conditions to give you a more accurate ETA.

I use it when towing and on a 3 hour drive with the caravan, was only out by 4 minutes, and that was constantly adjusting to the traffic and even re-routing me when the original route got busier.

Waze is brilliant especially if you have unlimited data

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

loggyboy

posted on 16/6/17 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Distance/Time = Speed
Distance/Speed = Time
Speed x Time = Distance
]

You seem to misunderstand the word 'average'.

[Edited on 16-6-17 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

overdriver

posted on 16/6/17 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
The enablement to set average speeds per class of road used to be a feature of AutoRoute if I remember correctly. This excellent piece of software was killed off by Microsoft in 2014 in order to 'encourage' the use of Bing(!). It's still possible to download AR from third party sites (at a cost I think) but the maps will be out of date.

Michael.

ArthurR

posted on 16/6/17 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
I use CoPilot on my iPhone and you can adjust average speeds, it's under Car Routing Profiles / Road preferences and you can set separate profiles for Car, Caravan and Motorcycle.
jps

posted on 16/6/17 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Purely out of interest - why do you want to adjust average speeds to calculate a journey time? It seems to me that too many other unknown/changeable variables (weather / traffic/time of day/roadworks/major events/etc) could impact on the time it takes for a journey?

For longer trips - where time might matter - I work on some basic rules of thumb (developed from experience):

Day time trips are usually:
1 - A short distance on minor roads at the start that you can take a good guess at - e.g. it takes me 20 minutes to get from home to the A12 through Colchester.
2- Major A roads/motorways to wherever i'm going - if I aim for cruising at 70mph i'll usually average 50-55mph if i'm lucky.
3 - Minor roads at the end again - a guess is as good as it gets - it'll maybe take me 30-45mins to get from the M1 into 'somewhere in Sheffield' for example.

So daytime drive to Sheffield will be:
20 mins + 30/45mins + 167 miles @ 55mph (so let's say 3 hrs) = Maybe 4hrs total driving.

Night time trips
1 - minor roads at the start - take at least 25% off the time here
2 - Major roads/motorways - maybe cruise a little faster because the lack of traffic allows it (indicated speed officer, +/-10% remember!) - but more like 65-70mph average
3 - Minor roads - usually arriving VERY late at night - maybe drop 50% of the time perhaps

Trip back from Sheffield at night would therefore be more like:
15/20 mins + 167 miles @ 65 mph (2hrs 30) + 10 minutes = perhaps sub 3 hrs total driving.

If there's a lot more countryside in your trip (like getting across to Goodwood FOS from the M23) - you can guess at maybe doing 30mph average in the day and perhaps 40 at night...

Oh - and you can factor specific events too - i.e. +1hr to get offsite from FOS for example...

I sometimes simplify down to: on a long trip if I try to cruise at 70 on the motorways / i will find i've averaged 50mph overall. Anything better than that is a bonus.

[Edited on 16/6/17 by jps]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.