Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Best place to buy the steel?
Hallsy

posted on 18/10/02 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Best place to buy the steel?

Hi guys,

i am new to this forum and i wouldn't mind guessing that this question has been asked many times before, BUT,

where is the best place to buy the steel for the chassis from?
I am in the South East area, but would travel.

Cheffy

posted on 18/10/02 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Hallsy,

Welcome aboard.

Initially, to get me started, I bought:
8x6.1 metre lengths of 25x25x1.6mm RHS,
2x6.1 metre lengths of 19x1.5mm round tube,
1x2.5x1.25metre 16 gauge sheet, and
1x4metrex100mmx3mm steel plate.

Total cost £74.65 inc VAT.

From what I've read on the sight I think that's probably pretty good.

Company called Witney Steel Stock Company in Witney, Oxfordshire.
Tel:01993 779966.

Good luck,

Cheers, Cheffy.

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hallsy

posted on 18/10/02 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds good, do you know if they are likely to deliver??

Also, on a more general note how have people gone about cutting the steel, do people use a traditional hacksaw, or cut it on a bandsaw?

Cheffy

posted on 18/10/02 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
They delivered to me free of charge, but I only live about 8/9 miles away, I'm not sure how far they go. They're very helpful and friendly though. Give 'em a call.

With regard to cutting, I've done all mine by hand with a hacksaw. With a bit of practice you can get really accurate so you barely need a file to dress the tube end.

Cheers, Cheffy

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 18/10/02 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

You wanna get your steel from a local stockholder in your nearest town. Where do you live? I just looked up 'Stockholders' in the Yellow pages, found my local one in Brighton, and bought a load.

To start I just got 1'' and 3/4'' RHS in 5m lenghts, and a load of 3/4'' tube and got them to deliver (free). nWorked out how much from the book.

Later I bought a whole sheet of 16gauge for the floor/footwells. I got them to cut it roughly to fit the floor to make my life easy.

Then bought a piece of plate about 2 foot square and about 2mm thick for making strengthening angle pieces.

Also bought a selection of 3mm and 5mm bar in various widths from 15mm to 40mm all about 3 foot long.

Buy if from a company that doesn't mind supplying short lenghts.

Hallsy

posted on 18/10/02 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
I live in Sudbury. Thanks for the advice, i will try some local ones anmd see what the best price is. I would use the people we use at work but i don't think they deal in short lengths or small volumes.
ludsonline

posted on 19/10/02 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Steel

Hello Hallsy,
Suffolk Steel up by the old A&B Glass factory charge £10.43 for a 6Mtr length of !"x1"x16 G Box section. I phoned them last week if you find any where cheaper let me know.

Hallsy

posted on 19/10/02 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah i was going to try them, i have used them a couple of time previously on behalf of work because it is handy for small amounts.
Do you live in Sudbury? I haven't started quite yet but it would be good to see another being made.

ludsonline

posted on 19/10/02 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Hi Hallsy,
I have not started yet still don't know if to buy or build my chassis or to go live axle or IRS. Yes I do live in Sudbury do you get a discount from your work?

Hallsy

posted on 20/10/02 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
I may get discount, but i don't think i'd be able to buyit through work anyway, i'd just get myself as and when i need it.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.