Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Speeduino - Arduino based ECU.
SJ

posted on 17/11/17 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Speeduino - Arduino based ECU.

Anybody had a look into this: Link

Looks like a great value way to build an ECU.

Stu

SPYDER

posted on 17/11/17 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
There are two Arduinos on my car. One is translating gearbox sensor pulses and running my mechanical speedo via a stepper motor. The other is running a seven segment AFR display. I've been watching the Speeduino forums with interest and will be fitting one to my mate's TR4 when he goes over onto throttle bodies. It uses the same TunerStudio tuning software that Megasquirt uses and I'm reasonably up to speed with that.
The spec looks favourable enough and will easily run most setups.

scudderfish

posted on 17/11/17 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
I've been keeping an eye as well I think if I was considering an MS1 for my car today, I'd look at Speeduino instead. It apparently works with the excellent MSDroid Android software as well.
02GF74

posted on 18/11/17 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
The other is running a seven segment AFR display. .

just curious as to why did you go that route - that is an expensive and unnecessarily complex way to do it - a single PIC could more or less do that.

SPYDER

posted on 18/11/17 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
^^^^^^^ Hi there. I just used the stuff I had to hand. I bought a few cheap Arduinos from a friend.
My wideband outputs AFR as a varying voltage, 0-5V. I knew that the Arduino could deal with that so thats the way I went.

The speedo project was a little more involved, however.
When converting to an AZ6 six speeder I lost the cable drive to my Veglia speedo. I did a bit of research and found that people were using either a servo motor or a stepper motor to get around the problem. I opted for the latter.
The Arduino first measures the incoming gearbox sensor pulses and derives a frequency. It then produces a proportional square wave tone which passes to the stepper motor driver board. I found a prog for each of the two stages on the net and amalgamated the two with help from my son.
That was the easy bit.
Despite buying a high revving stepper it wouldn't co-operate fully. To overcome this I put a little reduction gearbox ( fitted in reverse) in between the stepper and the speedo. I used a friend's lathe to make the interfacing flanges. As you may have guessed I am a fan of over-complication and have a lot of time on my hands. Therapy might help.
In my defence the car retains it's original speedo. Which I like.
And it works fine, thankfully.
If starting over I would go the servo motor route.

coyoteboy

posted on 18/11/17 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
I'm all about the hackery, but the stepper and box driven speedo is a serious case of "just because you can doesn't mean you should"

Same applies to arduino ECU I fear. Fun projects to prove you can but the engineer would pick the simplest and cheapest solution.

scudderfish

posted on 18/11/17 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I'm all about the hackery, but the stepper and box driven speedo is a serious case of "just because you can doesn't mean you should"

Same applies to arduino ECU I fear. Fun projects to prove you can but the engineer would pick the simplest and cheapest solution.

Our cars are never the simplest & cheapest solution.

Fatgadget

posted on 18/11/17 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
<snip>I'm all about the hackery, but the stepper and box driven speedo is a serious case of "just because you can doesn't mean you should"

Not the engineers I know! They allways up in arms with the bean counters to come up with ever cheaper solutions than the elegant one's that usually spring to their minds!

02GF74

posted on 18/11/17 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^^I'm sure I've seen that stepper motor driven speedo before and probably made same comments.

Not the simplest or cheapest solution but it works and it kept you amused which is what is important.

Oddified

posted on 18/11/17 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed, sometimes i do things 'just because i can' that doesn't always seem sensible to anyone else! lol

Ian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.