Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oh great…
Mr Whippy

posted on 1/12/17 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Oh great…

So yip the wife forgot to check if the car was in gear before starting her car up to defrost it….shot back like a rocket (apparently) 30ft before crashing into the house

Had to extract it with the landy’s winch. No one hurt fortunately (amazing really) and the house got away with just a bit of harling knocked off, had the car hit the porch pillar, the upper wall may have come down on the car, now going to concrete in a sturdy steel post in front of it in case something similar happens again, now I realise the vulnerably to the house. Drivers door sure took some “manipulation” to get it to close again…

Cars off to the bodyshop today, seems to be all covered by the insurance who have been really good so far (direct line) hopefully will not be considered a write off as they said it would take 7 days to fix. Got a nice big courtesy car too till it’s sorted, one of those times I’m glad we didn’t scrimp of the insurance…

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 1/12/17 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Crikey.. that could have been nasty! Glad the only damage is a dented volvo....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/12/17 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
so am I, was totally stunned when I first saw the car, fortunately the wife had called me beforehand
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 1/12/17 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
I’m afraid that will definitely be written off but I’m glad know one was injured

[Edited on 1/12/17 by ian locostzx9rc2]

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/12/17 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ian locostzx9rc2
I’m afraid that will definitely be written off but I’m glad know one was injured

[Edited on 1/12/17 by ian locostzx9rc2]

you may be right, in that case I'll be buying it back and getting it fixed myself as it's a cracking 1 owner, full Volvo service history, low millage 65k car, besides there is a paint shop just up the road from me.

scudderfish

posted on 1/12/17 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
And it's an opportunity for a camouflage scheme
McLannahan

posted on 1/12/17 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go with a write off too sadly!

I'm surprised though it got that far just from a small lurch? Unless she was flooring the accelerator before she started it?

morcus

posted on 1/12/17 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
As above, was she stood outside the car when she started the engine?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

J666AYP

posted on 1/12/17 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Well thats a new donor car sorted....
Ben_Copeland

posted on 2/12/17 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Yikes. Glas she wasn’t injured or anyone else!

Think I’d have killed my wife if that was our new car

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

miskit

posted on 2/12/17 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
It is an odd thing to happen as usually a car will not start without the clutch depressed, also was the handbrake not on? Glad no one was hurt, though.

I concur, likely a write off. My wife's S40 was a write off with about the same mount of damage a month ago, not her fault and she was sad to see it go. - Salvage value was £90, I was tempted but too many cars and not enough garage!

Andi

posted on 2/12/17 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Done that to a Dodge pick up drivers door (twice ) when I was a lad. It was an absolute pain to put right. In fact I never did get it right. Not before an over tired artic driver sent it to heaven.
Chris_Xtreme

posted on 3/12/17 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
happened to a friend of mine too.

it was facing forwards off their drive way, open door, pop key in turn it, the handbrake clearly wasn't on hard enough as it had enough to get it going, it then drove it self across the road and finished off pretty similar but in the opposite neighbours house - couldn't extract the car till the builders had installed some supports. again thankfully no one hurt.

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/12/17 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
not heard anything back from the insurance folk, no news is good news

The wife barely puts the handbrake on and the car will start without the clutch being pressed. As it's a petrol it tends to start with quite a fast cold idle so has more than enough power to take off.

She tried to turn the ignition off but due to Volvo making the key quite fragile to prevent injury in a crash she grabbed it so hard it exploded in her hands (found parts of it scattered across the lawn). Explains why the car turned as she must have been pulling on the wheel with her other hand while trying to grab the key...

oh well will get sorted regardless, even if I have to buy it back and sort out the repairs myself.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.