Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA Pass Today!
birdii

posted on 12/12/17 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
IVA Pass Today!

IVA passed today, first time. Feeling pleased with myself tonight!

My test was at Nottingham with Andy and I think he was very reasonable with his approach and advice.

There were a few problems along the way:

Radius on the headlights - the screw that holds the lens on. A nut cover fixed this.

Alternator cable needed a tie wrap.

Rear number plate didn't have 45degree angle of visibility - this one came as a surprise, I had put the number plate between the fog and reverse lights but as they are 60mm deep it obscured the plate. The plate light was flipped and problem sorted.

Emissions were out, easily fixed with a fuel adjustment as I had my laptop and it was the non cat test so not difficult to achieve 3%co.

The brakes surprised me, I expected to struggle on the rear brake effort but it was fine and the fronts locked first no problem.
Andy didn't like the lock wire the bias bar and asked me to add a lock nut which I had no problem with. One rear brake was lazy on the handbrake but just passed.

Headlight aim was good too which was another surprise as I had only set using some lines on a piece of card in the garage.

And lastly the noise test, it was tested at 5500 which was higher than I expected (max power 6400rpm) but just passed at 98db. I had measure 96 at 4800 using a good noise meter so I didn't really expect a problem.

After all the long days, late nights, early starts and stressing I'm now feeling a bit tired.

Brilliant day though and one that I will long remember! hard to believe I started this in 2005 and planned to be finished in 2 years, misjudged that slightly. Unfortunately I will be revisiting the test centre in the near future as I left my build folder behind - must have been too excited!

Would love to upload a few photos but I cant get the archive to accept them so will try again tomorrow.

Dan

HowardB

posted on 12/12/17 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations

best keep off the roads for a bit though - salt and ice - never a good combination

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

birdii

posted on 12/12/17 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
I think the dvla will keep me off the road, 6 weeks and still no v55/5!

Does that online form order system ever work? I’ve tried several times over the past few weeks but nothing has come.

Daf

posted on 12/12/17 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Pictures pictures pictures!
pekwah1

posted on 12/12/17 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
Good work!
For reference, my v55 came through in about a week.
I also got one sent to a friend at his address as backup....

bonzoronnie

posted on 13/12/17 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Huge congratulations.

I can well imagine how pleased you are, well done.

nick205

posted on 13/12/17 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Congratulations

When my MK Indy passed it's SVA some years ago I remember a rather large dose of good feelings!

nick205

posted on 13/12/17 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
I look out my work window (Basingstoke, Hampshire) and it's pi55ing it down. Don't let that put you off though - I drove my car over a couple of winters. Wrapped up warm and taking care it's good - the roads are quieter and the thrill of driving a car you've built really is worth it!
adithorp

posted on 13/12/17 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Nice one!

Must feel good after all the stress about the weather.
Registration form delivery from the on-line order is usually quite quick. I'd order another one and see what happens.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

birdii

posted on 13/12/17 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
I feel very relieved to get that hurdle out of the way!

Ive asked a couple of friends to order the form too but nothing has arrived yet. Hopefully i will get it soon.

Will try again to upload a few photos tonight.

Dan

birdii

posted on 13/12/17 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Same message on the photo uploads, unnsuported file type. Never had that message before using this camera.
Slater

posted on 13/12/17 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Well done on the pass!!! Bet you can't wait to drive it. As others have said, be careful, even if the road is just a little damp you can easily spin off with just a small touch on the throttle.

by the way......all the best folk pass 1st time

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

tims31

posted on 13/12/17 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations, well done for a first time pass.

I'll be on the look out for you when the good weather comes. Maybe see if there are a few others around the Lincoln area who want to meet up in the spring

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

robinsoncrusoe55

posted on 13/12/17 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Well done !!!

Big pat on the back for you .... great to hear !

birdii

posted on 13/12/17 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Managed to get a few photos uploaded, taken a couple of days before final IVA prep:

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

ttalps2000

posted on 14/12/17 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Why did they test the RPM at a much higher level?
Chris_Xtreme

posted on 14/12/17 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
well done mate, great feeling.. I never took my cars off the road over winter. a couple of us used to go out rain , snow or shine of a Sunday morning -- before the kids came a long and I let the car go.... make the most of it and take it easy.
jps

posted on 15/12/17 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Looks great - what thickness alu did you use for your dash? I want to make one very similar but not sure how thick it needs to be...?
birdii

posted on 17/12/17 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Documents all sent off to the DVLA now, after waiting weeks I got three V55/5 forms arrive in 2 days! I've also had the VIN letter arrive again so presumably my dealer stamped reply never landed on the correct desk, I sent it recorded delivery so I know it arrived somewhere!

quote:

Why did they test the RPM at a much higher level?

My exhaust is the old Robin Hood silencer which you would expect to fail on noise, if I was the tester I would want to check that whatever bodge was reducing the noise was permanent enough, he was probably expecting a bunch of wire wool to fly out!

quote:

what thickness alu did you use for your dash?

I think it was 1.2mm left over from the body sides, bottom edge rolled around a scaffolding pole. I'm hoping to change it to a GRP dash at some point as I don't like the straight bottom edge.

Dan

ttalps2000

posted on 18/12/17 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Good old IVA and make the rules up as you go along!! Well done on the pass though!
Mr Whippy

posted on 18/12/17 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by birdii
I think the dvla will keep me off the road, 6 weeks and still no v55/5!

Does that online form order system ever work? I’ve tried several times over the past few weeks but nothing has come.

worth phoning just to check there's no issues. Their normally quite friendly and I just say I'm checking to see nothing was lost in the post... their systems are quite good for giving progress updates

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.