Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mk Indy Blade - oil window
paul1087

posted on 29/12/17 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Mk Indy Blade - oil window

Hello all,

Recently collected my first kit car, it's a standard indy with 919 blade engine.

I'm totally new to bike engines so is all a bit of a learning curve!

This will probably be the first of many questions.

On this engine the sight window for the oil level is awkwardly located at the front of the car where it's out of sight.. ironically.

I have a spare 893 engine which has a dipstick, can I simply use this on the 919 as a far easier way of checking my oil level?

jossey

posted on 29/12/17 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on the sump used but if it's standard then yes you can the case of the engines are the same. Main difference between the engines are the gearbox and gear lever. I used a mirror and torch to check my level. Kept it near the top of the window above the line. Using the standard sump with baffle inside.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paul1087

posted on 29/12/17 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
Depends on the sump used but if it's standard then yes you can the case of the engines are the same. Main difference between the engines are the gearbox and gear lever. I used a mirror and torch to check my level. Kept it near the top of the window above the line. Using the standard sump with baffle inside.

Great, thanks mate!

gingerprince

posted on 29/12/17 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be careful, I had 2 different dipstick blade engines with 2 different dipstick lengths, so there are differences in the casing.

Best would probably be to get it to the right level with the glass one time, then compare with dipstick reading. Might be right 1st time but will give you comfort it's definitely correct. If it is different, notch or otherwise mark it to suit.

CosKev3

posted on 29/12/17 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
If you kneel down in front of one of your front wheels with a torch can't you view the window threw the hole in the bodywork where the wishbones bolt to chassis?

That's how I view mine on the R1 engine

mark chandler

posted on 29/12/17 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Pop your phone down there and take a picture, fill to the top of the window then overfill by 200ml
Andy B

posted on 30/12/17 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
The clutch covers are not interchangeable between the 919 and 893 engines due to the differences in the clutch baskets so I am afraid you are stuck with the window
dmrider_10

posted on 31/12/17 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Also a 919 here and also use a torch and mirror. It helps when you first do an oil change to set your phone videoing the window so you can see the difference between empty and full. Ours was very hard to tell what was going on when we go the car (empty or full?!) but became more obvious when we drained and refilled on video
Matt21

posted on 13/1/18 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
I can see mine quite easily from the front through the body work, the use of a torch is needed in the garage, but outside is fine.

Instagram: @matt211988

Photobucket

My YouTube

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.