Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Johns Roadster
jps

posted on 31/8/20 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
No pictures, but I’ve stripped the front suspension off again this weekend and touched up various bits of the front end of the chassis, where it had been scuffed. I had a leftover spraycan of POR Blackcote, which was the original topcoat for my chassis, which looks to have worked out ok. But once the side panels are bonded on I expect any touch ups will need to be by brush.

I can see it being an ongoing issue, so interested how others deal with this. I’m inclined just to use a basic black gloss paint from Screwfix/B&Q or similar...

jps

posted on 18/9/20 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
As always - one step forward/two steps back...

Having touched up the front end, I then scratched some of my fresh new paint - filing away at the steering column extension where it just makes contact with the chassis rail! I will replace the extension section anyway, in such a way it doesn't make contact, but had wanted to avoid rubbing off the new paint before I do that. Ho hum...

Then I spent a good few hours taking the advice from the thread on touching up the chassis, and have comprehensively rubbed down the visible chassis rails in the cockpit area, and made a start of priming with red oxide. Hopefully i'll get that finished, and some top coat on, this weekend.

Edging ever closer to bonding on side panels...!

ianhurley20

posted on 19/9/20 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
No pictures, but I’ve stripped the front suspension off again this weekend and touched up various bits of the front end of the chassis, where it had been scuffed. I had a leftover spraycan of POR Blackcote, which was the original topcoat for my chassis, which looks to have worked out ok. But once the side panels are bonded on I expect any touch ups will need to be by brush.

I can see it being an ongoing issue, so interested how others deal with this. I’m inclined just to use a basic black gloss paint from Screwfix/B&Q or similar...

I agree with your choice of touch up paint - I used Aldi black rust prevention paint which I now use instead of Hammerite as it costs pence and does just as good a job. Keep going, one day it will be nearly finished (they never are fully finished )

[Edited on 19/9/20 by ianhurley20]

jps

posted on 23/10/20 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Well, i've initiated my own version of the 'Which paint is best' adverts that appear in Practical Classics/etc. Although I don't plan on blasting my car with salt water if I can avoid it...

From the edge of the scuttle forward, the existing POR-15 and POR-15 Blackcote has been sprayed over with an additional couple of coats of BlackCote. Finish remains about as even as it was before - not very. But at least everything is covered. (*Edit - apart from the bit I scratched with a file after I had painted it - AAAGGHH! This'll be touched up...)

All of the visible parts of the chassis in the cockpit (also with existing POR-15 and Blackcote) have been rubbed back to flat, primed with two coats of Screwfix red oxide then top coated with at least two coats of B&Q Fortress Metal paint. All done by brush - first a cheap one, then (lesson learnt!) a more expensive 'Harris' brush.

Having to apply paint outside, and so dodging showers/high winds/cold weather on the odd days I get time to work on the car, means it really has taken the best part of 8 weeks to get this finished.

I'll get some pictures up on my 'blog soon, but will be putting the side panels back on this weekend to drill for rivets/etc - and hopefully to do final cuts to allow the front brake flexi's to be fitted up.

[Edited on 23/10/20 by jps]

[Edited on 23/10/20 by jps]

Deckman001

posted on 23/10/20 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi ya,

Now's a good time to get your chassis number sorted and welded into your car ? ( Unless you already have one that is )

Jason

jps

posted on 23/10/20 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
Hi ya,

Now's a good time to get your chassis number sorted and welded into your car ? ( Unless you already have one that is )

Jason

Cheers - did that in 2013! When i first painted the chassis!

jps

posted on 7/11/20 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Finally got round to adding a 'blog post with some pictures of the chassis re-painting here.

[Edited on 7/11/20 by jps]

jps

posted on 7/11/20 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
After cutting off the welded on brackets for the flexi brake lines - which were too close to the suspension brackets - i've made some which will be riveted and bonded on. I've also re-done the bracket which will hold the brake reservoir, having tried swaging some holes on Mk1 bracket, it was looking a bit tired... A few pictures here.

Having lined up the new brake line brackets, I then had to open up the GRP side panel which I think went pretty well. Pictures here.

jps

posted on 17/1/21 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
The culmination of a few hours grabbed here and there over the last few weeks, i've just got the inner cable to shorten (haven't decided whether to join in the middle, with some wire clamps, or fit a new 'hook' on the end) and some rivuts to fix, but the handbrake cable routing looks to be sorted out. A few pictures here.

[Edited on 17/1/21 by jps]

jps

posted on 19/10/21 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
More 'one step forward - two steps back' having thought i’d got everythng lined up, but not committed to drilling the necessary holes at the time... But now it's done and i've got the rear, and front, flexi-brake line brackets fixed in place, the p-clips to secure the handbrake cable in place and the rear end of the chassis mostly repainted. A few pictures here.

Over the last few months I've also re-done my drivers seat subframe, and will add some pics of that shortly. It's all progress, albeit slow...

[Edited on 20/10/21 by jps]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.